Thread: Hesitation

Default Hesitation

I bought that 1992 Comp and have 12 hours on it. I've had it out 3 times and I've been having a small hesitation issue when I punch it. It hesitates from 0-15 mph then takes off like normal. It's only happen 2-3 times each time I was out then it stops, so it isn't a constant issue. My first guess was seaweed on the prop. It seems to happen after a long period of putting around the lake at slow speeds. Maybe its build up in the engine that needed to get burned out? I don't know.

had it out the day after with zero issues...

How do you only have 12 hours on a '92 Comp?? Rebuilt motor? Hesitation could be a number of things. The first thought that comes to mind is bad gas or other fuel related issue. Did you put new fuel in it and it ran better? If old fuel, I would recommend running through it and gassing up with fresh stuff. Seafoam in the tank would help too..I've used it with excellent results. Fuel/water separator changed?

If the condition persists, has the carb been rebuilt? My boat was doing the same thing last year so I rebuilt my carb. I noticed that the old power valve was not as "springy" as the new one which was probably the cause of my problem. When I throttled down hard, the old power valve would not open all the way and it would hesitate.

Hope that helps!

The boat had 800 hours on it when I bought it. Now 812, it could of had some old gas in the tank when I bought it. I'll try seafoam first. Thanks!

seafoam will wash your tank, just as the alcohol in the fuel you're using. remember, you need to catch that crud BEFORE it gets to your carb! I highly reccomend a dual filter set-up.....30 micron coming out of the tank, 10 micron before the carb. these will clog quickly, so make sure you buy a few of them till the dirt is no longer present. good luck!

Pretty sure that's a carb issue. Mine will ocassionally do that if I've been idling for a while, then hit the throttle to pull a rider. Just needs an adjustment I think.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

As supra B said, seafoam will clean EVERYTHING so be careful using it or it might just make things worse for you by freeing up a bunch of crap in your fuel tank. If you run an ethanol blend (E-10) then you are probably fine using seafoam.

If it's a carb issue it could be a stuck float allowing too much gas in the primary bowl when idling or at low speeds.

Assuming you have electric choke like mine, you may want to check to make sure that the wires are hooked up on the driver's side of the carb. I had my ground fall off last year and it started to hesitate like crazy.

Make sure you're using a full tank of fresh gas, not last years gas. Check/adjust float level and if that's good you most likely need to adjust your accelerator pump. Probably not getting enough shot. Also check timing to be sure it advances quickly consistently and smoothly.