Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Stripe removal, wetsand, etc...

Well I started with the strip removal last night. I only worked on it for about 20-30 minutes. I thought we had a good heat gun at my work here in OKC, but the only one we have is at our place in Tulsa. The only one I have at home is smaller for crafts type stuff. I tried that and it wasn't working very well, so I experimented with just the 3M eraser wheel. It seems to do fairly well on its own, but does make a mess. Right now I'm thinking I will continue with just the wheel, but we'll see. I started in the front where the stripes areen't as wide so I may change my mind when I get to the back. I like how the wheel works. Pics to come.

I used a new box cutter, move the blade all the way out and started to peel it from the top 1/4 - 1/2 inch a time. Found it was faster and cleaner than the wheel.where a glove though on the hand your pressing/ holding on to the blade with... trust me it helps.
    Have I started a trend?

Here are a few pictures...two showing the stripe removed and one showing one of the areas in the back I still see some haze from the first time. It may be hard to see in the picture, but some of you might see it.

Geting the lines to fade is alot of work.

Wet sanding will not even make a mark in it.
    Mine is the same color as yours I ended up using a da with 150grit on it to get the color back.
    Im still working on geting it the scuffs from that out.

90 bravura 351 1.23/1pmc40 Pefectpass stargazer wake
    You only need two tools wd-40 and duck tape
    If it should move and doesn't wd40
    If it moves and shouldent duck tape

i must have removed the stripes on mine maybe 8 or 10 years ago. i can still see their shadows. the wave is the worst.

good luck okie, she's looking better already.

I'm not real concerned about making the difference dissappear. I'll try, but that isn't my objective. If I have ghost stripes, that won't bother me, and I may end up putting something back on, but go with a solid stripe or something,

I'll be honest the stripe fade isn't as noticable on the blue as it was on the red. looking at your pictures there isn't a huge color difference, but it could just be the pictures.

red pigments are known to fade faster.

Crap....

I used the wheel and thought it was the easiest removal option. I could never get the heat gun or blade to do much. It would have taken weeks without the wheel.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839