Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Here's the latest...one side done.

So I figured a lot of you that have older boats would probably appreciate this. When we first got our boat it was oxidized pretty bad. I wet sanded with 100 grit, compounded and polished. After a couple years, the oxidation started coming back. Last year I decided I was going to figure out what was going to take it away for good. In addition, I decided to remove the old stripe that was cracking and fading. Here's some pictures of one side's progress and completion, along with the other side as a comparison to how bad it had gotten.

Dang Okie! I could shave in that mirror. I know you have to be thrilled (and tired and sore). So the first time you just wet-sanded with 100 grit and then compounded? What's going to make this last longer? From my understanding the successfully finer grits smooth out the damage from the rougher grits. Would that make it last longer?

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Default Stripe removal, wetsand, etc...

It would of been 1000grit. 100grit would of sanded through the gel and glass.

Looks great Okie! Yeah, he meant 1000 grit. He did that when he first bought the boat.

What did you use to compound and polish?

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
    Dang Okie! I could shave in that mirror. I know you have to be thrilled (and tired and sore). So the first time you just wet-sanded with 100 grit and then compounded? What's going to make this last longer? From my understanding the successfully finer grits smooth out the damage from the rougher grits. Would that make it last longer?
    Yeah, the first time was 1000 grit, compound and polish. I think I did not actually get rid of the oxidation last time and it came back to the surface...that's why I think this time will last longer.

haugy,

3M Super Duty Compound with a wool pad and 3M Finesse-It with a foam pad.

What a difference a zero can make! Yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
    What a difference a zero can make! Yeah, that makes a lot more sense.
    Yup...sorry for the confusion.

So here's an update on Okie's boat and progress made on the port side of the boat. I've gotten the whole side free of oxidation. I actually went down as low as 500 wet sand and haven't had any problems yet. I'm trying like hell to blend the colors where the stripe decals were and so far have been successful. The back 60% or so of the boat has been full sanded 500/600/800/1000/1200 and then compounded/polished (3M Super Duty, 3M Rubbing, 3M Finesse It, 3M Machine Polish, Babes Boat Bright wax). you can see from the photos I've been able to accomplish the mirror like shine that Okie got on the other side. Notice the reflection of spare tire and Barbie jeep on the back half : )
    Attached Images Attached Images

For reference, here is what it looked like when I picked it up.
    The 3M eraser wheel is a life saver for that job. Mine barely even wore down. I'm considering whether or not I should offer it up for a few bucks or keep it should I need it for something in the future?
    Attached Images Attached Images