Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: water pump out?

Default water pump out?

Ok so thought I was having a thermostat issue, I got a new one. I went ahead and changed the impeller because I wasn't sure the last time it actually was changed. So I tried to start on the hose, and it looked like it wasn't pumping any water at all now. There was zero water out the exhaust so I turned the motor off. I am 99% sure I put the impeller back on correct, could my pump be out? If so, before I spend 180.....ish on a new pump, any ideas or anyway to ck the pump to see if its working or if I just screwed something up. Thanks for help!
    Last edited by suprasam; 05-03-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: damn auto correct
    Shane

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch

Did you put the raw water pump on for the correct rotation/flow of water?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

what about the circulation pump ? is it leaking out of the weep hole under the pully bell ? the raw water pump should pump both ways ..
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

I had a very similar experience today. De-winterized the boat, hooked everything up, put the new impeller in, and then tried to start it up with a fake-a-lake hooked up. The boat came up to temp and then kept going - shut it off around 190. I pulled the impeller out and put it back in. Started it up again and same thing. I started pulling off hoses downstream of the impeller housing and I was getting some water, but not much.

I was getting suspicious that the fake-a-lake was the problem. I've used these for years without any problems on my other boat, but turns out it was the issue. I took the boat over and put it in the lake (still on the trailer). Started up and no issues.

Watch the bottom of the boat after turning it on - you should see a large reduction in the amount of water spewing from the fake-a-lake. If you don't notice that, could be the water isn't actually getting up into the boat and making it to the impeller.

Just a thought.
    '07 21v

Hey Lively, to my knowledge, if the raw water pump is installed incorrectly, the rotation of the pump is such that it wants to force water out the intake, thereby reversing the flow. On my boat, you want to make sure that the hose connections are closest to the block.
    Boat 031.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Hey Lively, to my knowledge, if the raw water pump is installed incorrectly, the rotation of the pump is such that it wants to force water out the intake, thereby reversing the flow. On my boat, you want to make sure that the hose connections are closest to the block.
    Boat 031.jpg
    really ? lol cause when i mounted mine i couldnt get the belt to fit right when the pump was closest to the block ... but if your 100% on that then im for sure changing it ... I really didnt look into the actual pump housing when i replaced mine to determine if they are a one way pump or not ...
    lol i proly need to look further into my pics to see if this is how it was mounted ... it looks like im ok ? idk ill have to look when i get home tomorrow
    Last edited by lively; 05-03-2012 at 11:51 PM.

The pic I included in my post above is how it should be mounted...and looking at it, it looks like you would really have to force the hoses to make it work trying to install it incorrectly.
    Last edited by Jetlink; 05-03-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    The pic I included in my post above is how it should be mounted...and looking at it, it looks like you would really have to force the hoses to make it work trying to install it incorrectly.
    well im firing over the engine this weekend so ill find out one way or another lol

I'm a little on the tired side but that looks like you are set up properly.

man i hope so ! hey WAKE up lol .. thanks bud ..