Default altenator upgrade

I purchased a 140amp alternator from DBelectrical because I installed a second battery with a perko switch. I started to install the alternator and was wondering if I should upgrade my wiring. My breaker say 40amp. The charge wire looks like 10ga its less than 30 inches to the breaker. I have some larger wire but dont have a larger breaker. Im going to see if Northern Tool carries 150 amp circuit breaker.
    I was also considering bypassing the breaker because Im headed to Lake Oconee on Sunday.

Is this overkill? Does anyone have a high amp alt installed that could give me some feedback or advice?

thanks

Aaron
    Last edited by EDGE; 05-04-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling

My breaker failed years ago and I've had the replacement sitting in my junk drawer for the same amount of time. It's probably not the safest but everything is fused to prevent a major melt-down. I don't think 10ga is enough to properly charge your system. I've got 00ga for my main battery runs and charger cable.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Thanks I figured out what I needed. I got 4 ga wire and a stinger 150 amp breaker
    IMG_20120505_142621.jpgIMG_20120505_142631.jpg

Should work. Double check that all of that cable is away and shielded from the heads and engine block. I had an issue one year when my positive cable melted into one of the heads. Smoke!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.