Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Money is VERY tight with me right now, but if you can swing it you might think about doing both. Get the old one repaired (pending it's repairable) to use as a spare and buy the new one to use right now. That way if it happens again this summer (knock on wood), you won't miss a weekend!
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    My prop guy works out of his home shop but does probably half the marina repairs within a 100mile radius (and keep in mind.... We've got 10,000 lakes. I'll show him this photo when I stop out there this week and see what he says.
    Hell yeah, let us know. We may have to make him the Supra.com prop guy.

Quote Originally Posted by kvand347 View Post
    Money is VERY tight with me right now, but if you can swing it you might think about doing both. Get the old one repaired (pending it's repairable) to use as a spare and buy the new one to use right now. That way if it happens again this summer (knock on wood), you won't miss a weekend!
    I agree, if you can swing it. Happily I've done this over time and now have spares so I won't be out for too long in the summer. As summer hits the prop guys get really backed up.

Anyone else notice the thread title says Supra Sunsetter? I wasn't gonna say anything but I couldn't help myself.

Yes, my error - Sunsport, not Sunsetter. Hey, it's a new boat for us...still getting the hang of it! I couldn't figure out how to change the title after I got it started. Flag me as the new guy.

Wotan - any news from your prop guy? I do have a couple of props that came with the boat - but they are pretty big (14x16 and 14x14). I'm not sure if they will fit nor give the results I hope to have. I'm thinking of trying to sell them (or trade them in) so that I've got the cash to buy the new ACME 480 and repair the existing prop to take a page out of Haugy's book. Any thoughts on the best way to sell/trade?

Thanks!

Had to give you a hard time on the "Sunsetter" thing. I've been a new guy for about 2 years now and I wasn't sure if I could get away with it. Congrats on the new boat. Check out the classified sections on here and on wakeworld to sell the props. And maybe onlyinboards.com. I know they have used boat listings but can't remember if they list any used parts in their classifieds.

I mangled a brand new ACME prop a few years ago and it looked worse than yours, the first place I took it too wanted 350 dollars and I said see ya, that is what
    I paid for the prop, However I took it into another shop and they only charged me 90 dollars to repair.So I would look for a shop that will fix prop for a decent price
    and keep that one as a spare and then buy a new nibral 4 blade to replace it with. Also order yourself a prop puller when you buy your new prop, so you have the tools
    for a re and re ,if your on a nice holiday and hit something again. A spare impeller for your raw water pump is something else you should have on your boat at all times also**
    Summers is near, enjoy your new boat and be safe with loose ropes in boat when small children are onboard* I saw a small child pulled out of a boat at 30 mph once when a tube took off out the back while they were cruising and loose rope wrapped around thier sons leg and dragged him out of the boat** he had 3rd degree rope burns behind his knee.Accidents happen so fast and are harder to prevent when you have a boat full of people.

Just got back from my local prop guy. I think his prices went up ($118 for 13", $130 for 14") but that includes anything that it needs. I showed him the photo from this thread and he said that price would get it back to as good as new even if it needed welding. He said that welding is just as good as the original castings and that he can perfectly grind/balance a welded prop, too. That is -- unless they are missing more than 50% of one blade, then he says they are junk. He has a pretty good pile of junk props that he just hangs on to until he can take them all for recycling at the same time.

I dropped off my 13" acme and my 14" stock prop. (Both have been repitched and welded by him before.)

I haven't priced out the other prop shop around here but at $118 I think he's probably getting close to what they charge (and welding is extra there... )
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Wow, great info Wotan. Thanks for checking on that. I did the same with two prop guys here, and both were above $225. I think that's because it's lake season too.

Oh the other thing is that he said he could get them done for me by this weekend -- but my boat won't be ready by then so I gave him until next week. That made him pretty happy.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.