Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Public service announcement!!!

This was on WakeWorld a while back and with the season starting I though it would be good to review.

Last edited by wiatowski; 05-09-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Great video and great advice
    2009 21V

I see it all the time I wish the dealer would give a copy of this to all new boat buyers.

This is the best thing ever, thank you so much for posting this.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

In the beginning of the video you almost had me...I like to be considerate to everyone on the lake. I agree the "stupid, and jerk" comments pretty much ended any concern I have for the "professional" wakeboarders out there. I come from a long history of bass fisherman and they have been complaining for years about these "blasted boats people fill with water to make the biggest waves possible, blarring their stereo's to high heaven." I tell them the same thing, try to be considerate and SHARE the public lake!
    Since we are on this topic. I have a boat load of 11-13 year old girls who don't care about anything but tubing. The bigger the waves we stir up the more they like it. This includes powerturn after powerturn. What are the "rules" for tubing? I certainly want to share the lake and not ruin it for anyone else.

This is a problem that I don't have to worry about to much... although the lake I'm on is public so few use it that it's more of a private lake. However I will say this... common sense is the key. I don't wakeboard around fishing boats so that I don't disturb them, the same could be said when tubing or anything else for that matter.

Meh. When I was a kid and my dad was skiing us, when we fell he powerturned. He didn't care about waves or if we were being considerate. He wanted to make sure his child was okay. Sometimes we would crash hard and were slow to give the "all okay" wave, so yeah he'd hammerdown.

If I'm boarding I'll follow wakeboarding protocol. I'm considerate to fisherman, other boats, etc. I slow my larger boat down when I see boats rafted up to docks, or at anchor. So I consider myself very considerate. But with that said, kiss my ass. I'm very aware of my wake, and it's affect on safety and general courtesy. But I don't really give a rats ass if I'm making waves that bother your entertainment. If it endangered anyone, or might do damage to something, yeah I'd be very animate. But oh no, I'm making it choppy, and you want to play on glass.

Guess what? Get your lazy ass up earlier, and get out on the water. Or go somewhere else. I don't complain about others when they do it. As long as it's not dangerous, who cares? I'm out there to have fun. If I can't ride over one set of rollers, I shouldn't be on a board anyways. You're on a boat, on the water, and complaining?

This post was not directed at the OP. It was a general blanket statement to those who get so uppity about powerturns.

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    Meh. When I was a kid and my dad was skiing us, when we fell he powerturned. He didn't care about waves or if we were being considerate. He wanted to make sure his child was okay. Sometimes we would crash hard and were slow to give the "all okay" wave, so yeah he'd hammerdown.

If I'm boarding I'll follow wakeboarding protocol. I'm considerate to fisherman, other boats, etc. I slow my larger boat down when I see boats rafted up to docks, or at anchor. So I consider myself very considerate. But with that said, kiss my ass. I'm very aware of my wake, and it's affect on safety and general courtesy. But I don't really give a rats ass if I'm making waves that bother your entertainment. If it endangered anyone, or might do damage to something, yeah I'd be very animate. But oh no, I'm making it choppy, and you want to play on glass.

Guess what? Get your lazy ass up earlier, and get out on the water. Or go somewhere else. I don't complain about others when they do it. As long as it's not dangerous, who cares? I'm out there to have fun. If I can't ride over one set of rollers, I shouldn't be on a board anyways. You're on a boat, on the water, and complaining?

This post was not directed at the OP. It was a general blanket statement to those who get so uppity about powerturns.
    This is what I wanted to say, but I am new here and didn't want to "rock the boat" too much. lol

Good to see you ate your Wheaties this morning, Haugy. Agreed, first and foremost - be safe. Then, don't be jerk - respect others, thier property, and their right to be on the same public water. I've seen it all. Blaring rap crap full of obscenities near a swim area loaded with kids - No No No. Tuning a surf wave on half plane all sac'd out down a row of moored boats - really? Power turns in a narrow cove full of boats waiting their turn through the slalom course - a hanging offense down here in Texas.

But yeah, open water during normal business hours is fair game as long as commen sense prevails. Just don't be "that guy".
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post

Powerturns are a problem in some very specific (but high profile) wakeboarding spots. The Delta and a lot of the canals in TX are fairly narrow, long stretches of water. One rouge powerturn wave can travel 10+ miles.... and screw up the wakeboarding in that whole area. These are also spots that are incredibly crowded where people have to take turns and wait for "good water."

Powerturns are a lot less of an issue on lakes (or smaller bodies of water) or in places where there are enough lakes that people aren't stacked on top of each other. Instead of getting irritated at the people being irritated -- I'd just be happy that you don't live/wakeboard in one of those places. Powerturns are just one example (that's typically contributed by people in the same "family" of watersports) that seems reasonable to try and address. Making videos about tubers or jet-skiiers just isn't going to change anything.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.