Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bimini Top for 86 Sunsport

Anyone have a top or know of a good top to fit my 1986 Sunsport? I was originally planning to have a custom top made to fit my custom tower, but since I have to fold the tower down to fit in my garage I think I'd better stick with a top that folds independently so it won't be in the way of the tower. Any ideas?
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

So doesn't that leave you with a standard Sunbrella type of bimini? In the back of my mind I've been wondering about the best move for a bimini, but I haven't gotten to that project yet. I don't know if I actually have many options. I think Michael Hunter's project bimini turned out well on his Sunsport. https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...Project-Bimini

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

The problem with a standard bimini is that I'm afraid it will be in the way of accessing the board racks . . .
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

So I ran across this "deal" and bought a new OEM bimini top that was made for a mid 90's Mastercraft. It has all the mounting hardware and the matching boot - all "natural" color Sunbrella material. Matches the color of my hull real well. Anyway, I will need to "tweak" it a little to make it fit, but it shouldn't take much. I think it will look real good and be very functional. Will update with pics as soon as I find the time to work on it - too many honey-do's to list right now.
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

I'll be looking for that update. I plan to do something about a bimini this year too, but haven't figured out the best path yet. Good luck with those honey-do items.

1986 Saltare

My Mariah came with the vinyl top that snaps to the windsheild, my other bimini is a bit taller-it is a generic with 'Sharkskin' material. It is mounted to the slides that came on my Mariah- the slides go the entire length of the cabin- I want to mount the top to the tower, but I did not think about it getting in the way if I have to lower the top. With the slides I can mount both tops at once, covering the entire boat except for the bow.

Got the new top mounted. I attached it to the tower and am able to raise and lower either the top or tower independent of the other with no interference. Very pleased with the results. I'll try and post pics in a day or two.

Bad news, the tower mirror I purchased is not going to work because it interferes with my windshield when I lower the tower to put it in the garage. Aerial makes a quick-release mirror bracket that might work, but they are on back order. Anyone got experience with any of these?
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

You big tease.

Could you not get some allen screws with knobs for the arm you have now? You could quickly loosen it and swing it out of the way, or even take it off.

1986 Saltare

Here's a few "in process" pics of the top. I had to lengthen the front straps and I still have not installed the pad eyes that the straps hook onto. I'll post some more pics later when the top is complete and with the tower.

Last edited by csuggs; 05-24-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Quote Originally Posted by csuggs View Post
    Here's a few "in process" pics of the top. I had to lengthen the front straps and I still have not installed the pad eyes that the straps hook onto. I'll post some more pics later when the top is complete and with the tower.
    Better go make an appointment with an eye doctor, thought my eye sight was really good but I am having the most difficult time seeing these pics...
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski