Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ignition problem.

I went to run my boat on a hose yesterday to see if she was lakeworthy, and I hit an ignition problem. The ignition switch won't disengage. SKIDIM says it's due to a low amperage problem, which would've made sense at the time, because it drained both my batteries. I charged them overnight, hooked them up, and the ignition still will not disengage. The starter has plenty of juice, and turns the motor over just fine, but it just won't disengage.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you have a bad switch.

By switch do you mean the key ignition, the ignition relay, or the breaker? I'm thinking relay.

How old is the starter .. Could be bendix gear stuck or needs to be replaced . Start it up and remove the positive cable going to the starter and see if it stays on
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Ignition switch.

Mine did the same thing when my battery was low and I had bad connections to my starter. I also found my starter had paint on the metal to metal contact between the starter and engine block (poor ground). Try crossing the terminals on the starter and see if it disengages after you break the connection (with the key on) with will rule out the ignition switch.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I recently replaced my starter solenoid because the old one looked corroded and figured I would do some preventive maintenance. The first time I started it the starter stayed engaged. The new solenoid stuck closed and would not open. I checked continuity across the two battery cable terminals to verify. Took the new solenoid off and shook it,there was definately something broken inside. Put the old crusty one back on and it's been perfect ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by ts6mnewbie View Post
    I recently replaced my starter solenoid because the old one looked corroded and figured I would do some preventive maintenance. The first time I started it the starter stayed engaged. The new solenoid stuck closed and would not open. I checked continuity across the two battery cable terminals to verify. Took the new solenoid off and shook it,there was definately something broken inside. Put the old crusty one back on and it's been perfect ever since.
    ha ha .. if it aint broke dont fix it
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

I know right ? There is a fine line between preventive maintenance and messing with something that works just fine. Lesson learned.

It was the ignition relay. It was stuck. Took it off and hit it a few times, put it back on and it works just fine.

Thanks, guys!