Default rebuildiing the traile at the moment and the time has come to the trailer guides...

I'm thinkking that 2" tubular will work with 1/8 wall thickness....Anythoughts?
    Thanks
    Tim
    86 Saltare...Bringing her back from the dead
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1130576...CNzSv_eNpez8TA

I'd go to 1/4 or 3/8. I don't think 1/8 would be thick enough if you bump them with momentum. I used my guides when it's really blowing out, I'll use them to bump my way onto the trailer. I'm not sure 1/8 would be solid enough to take repeated hits.

But I over engineer everything. I used some serious thickness when welding up frame mounts and suspension on my Jeep.

is tubular stronger than square? mine came with square and have pvc tubes over them, carpeted.

one tip, make the rears taller than the fronts. sucks when they are too low in the water when backed in. you don't want them rubbing under the rub rail or worse, the rub rail smacking on top of the guide if a roller or something rocks you.

I can check this weekend, but I believe my factory trailer has 1/4" wall round tubes for guides. They might only be 1.5" or 1.75" dia though.

I would sugest the round. Might be a little harder to work with but much easyer to wrap a PVC pipe around for protection... Also go with a thicker walled tube for there is only a limited surface area with 1/8" when welding the bottom of the tube.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

a cylindrical shape is always stronger than a square shape - plus - it's pretty hard to put a roller over that square stuff - it'd chafe like hell I'd bet...and go with Haugy's advice - thicker the better...
    05' Launch 22SSV
    Saepe Expertus - Semper Fidelis - Fratres Aeterni

Well I bought a 10' section of 2" 3/16th thick.....and to be honest, it looks like total overkill, Not to mention $10/ft. Does anyone have factory trailer guides on their trailer? What is the wall thickness on them. ?
    86 Saltare...Bringing her back from the dead
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1130576...CNzSv_eNpez8TA

Quote Originally Posted by premierproperties View Post
    Well I bought a 10' section of 2" 3/16th thick.....and to be honest, it looks like total overkill, Not to mention $10/ft. Does anyone have factory trailer guides on their trailer? What is the wall thickness on them. ?
    mine are 3/16 x 2 x 46. They are slid through a hole and
    Under the trailer step it has a piece of c channel that it welds too
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY