Default 1992 sun sport - neutral safety switch

Hello,

I have a 1992 sun sport and believe the neutral safety switch just went out. In order to start the engine from time to time I had to jiggle the throttle in reverse to get the engine to start. This method has been used over the past few years when the engine would not start right up. I think this practice has caught up to the boat and the switch is now out. Does anyone know what brand the switch is on a 92 sun sport? Also, do you know where I can get one?

Any other insight would appreciated. I believe this to be the issue as the battery and other parts seem to be fine.

Thanks - Scott

check this place. http://www.skidim.com/searchprods.asp

You should test the switch first, I could be a linkage adjustment

It's probably either a linkage adjustment or it may need to be cleaned. If it is worn out then replace it with a new one from Discount Inboard Marine (www.skidim.com)

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R153011
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

I had the same symptoms and my issue was dirty contacts were the wires connect to the actual switch.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

disconnect the cable at the transmission. move the lever on the tranny by hand. you can feel when it's in neutral. there's an indent that will catch the lever. if your tranny is indeed in neutral and won't start...it's the switch. as csuggs said, it could be the linkage not set correctly and the tranny isn't in neutral when the throttle lever makes you think it is. adjust the linkage if that's the case.

I’m having the same issue and will purchase the switch.
    If this does not fix it, how do you properly adjust the linkage?
    Last edited by Thor; 07-01-2018 at 10:37 PM.

I replaced the neutral safety switch and I’m still having the issue. The boat will start and run fine when cold. Once hot, engine is turned off and I go to turn it over again there is nothing. Turn off both battery switches, switch them back on and it will fire up. Any suggestions on where to look next?