Default 1987 Sunsport Starter

Can anyone help me know which way my engine turns? My engine won't crank after I run it for awile and it gets hot. Today I waited and tapped on the starter and it fired right up.

When I went on line to look for replacement starter, all of the websites show both clockwise and CCW. It has a PCM Ford 351?

Another issue I'm having is a very rough idle after I have been running the boat for about an hour.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Default Replying to Topic '1987 Sunsport Starter'

i don't know about all sunsports but a friend's is a right-hander....89. his has gear reduction tranny, not sure if that affects the starter.

not starting hot and idling bad when warm could also be electrical issues, not starter. a shop will be able to bench test your starter to tell you if it's working correctly or not.

how long has it been since the boat was tuned up? have you checked your cables and connections?

There should be a tag on your engine that will help identify which way the engine rotates. On mine, it is on the back behind the intake manifold.
    2005 Supra 21V
    1990 Supra Sunsport Classic SOLD
    ------------------------------

I would def pull the starter and take it to an electric motor repair shop. They'll test it for you and let you know right away whether its bad or not. Can these engines vapor-lock?
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Thanks. Pulled the starter and had it re-built.

Thanks again,