Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 1987 comp boat will not start!!!!!!!

My boat has been sitting for two year, so I took it out of storage and it will not start. I've had my timing done, new spark plugs, oil, gas, fuel pump, starter, impeller, and i rebuilt the carb. My engine is getting gas and spark. I don't get it, it's cranking but will not turn over. If anybody has any experience in this please help. I have a 1987 Supra comp TS6M with a 351 windsor and a 4160 holley carb. Any advice would be helpful.

does anyone think that the ballast resistor or coil could be causing it not to turn over and if so how do I test

Yes. But if you're getting spark, those seem unlikely. See if it kicks over with a healthy spray of starting fluid. If it does, that points to carb issues. If it doesn't that points to timing/electrical.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I've already tried the starter fluid in the carb and it didn't work. Before I put it up for the winter two year ago I paid over 800.00 for timing, rotor, points, and wires, so I would hope it's not the timing.

If its been setting for two years the points are probably trashed.

Make sure you have power at the + post on the coil wile cranking.
    Then connect a test light to the battery + and to the coil - the light will flash wile cranking the eng over if the points are working.

90 bravura 351 1.23/1pmc40 Pefectpass stargazer wake
    You only need two tools wd-40 and duck tape
    If it should move and doesn't wd40
    If it moves and shouldent duck tape

I'll give that a try when I get home. Thanks for the reply

Also make sure the wires are on correctly, in the correct order that is. If it hasn't been run since the wires were changed, it's possible they're in backwards order. Do what 86 century suggested first, but I'm just throwing that out there because I've done it.
    1989 Bravura - repowered with 2001 PCM 351 GT-40 - 1.23:1 PCM Trans.
    1989 comp - sold
    1985 comp - sold

I'm getting 12.6 volts at the + end of the coil. I haven't done the test light yet.

just did the test light on the coil and battery and it is lighting up, so all is good there.

I did notice that a lot of fuel was coming out of the carb when i opened the choke flap. It should be dripping right and if so is that the needle and seat or something else. My guess would be it's flooding the spark plug out before it can combust