Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Another Supra stereo rebuild

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Skier's Choice and some of these boat dealers have NO BUSINESS installing stereos. This boat came in the other day to have the wiring cleaned up. He's also having problems with the tower speakers, the remotes only intermittently work, and it just looks plain horrible. A boat dealer installed the Syn4 and towers, but look at the compartment - there's absolutely no room at all for anything since all the batteries are piled in there. I think the boat was well thought out, and surprised at the changes since the last few years, but it's like they get the boat done, and just throw a bunch of crap in it and ruin everything. Then there's the LED's. The dealer disconnected the courtesy lights, and are using the switch and wiring for different LED's. That's lazy.... It's a shame this guy has taken the boat out just a few times and each time, there's a new problem......

We're building a custom enclosure for a Digital Designs 3512 to go under the helm, adding a DD M2A 1250W amp, adding a WS-420, and removing the batteries to replace them with Stinger batteries. Once it's done, he'll gain almost all of the compartment space back.

Stay tuned, I'll update this thread as it goes.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

My Install Gallery

Wow, that is a mess. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the finished product.

For the record, if I think your wiring looks like crap, then you have reached an all new low. Because I suck at wiring, and I mean one armed blind epileptic monkey suck. So if yours look worse than mine, may god have mercy on your soul.

Jony, please save this poor soul. What kind of artillery is he getting?

I thought a secondary purpose for an amp rack was to hide the wiring?

Option 2: screw the storage, make a secondary carpeted vanity panel, & just cover the entire storage area opening.

I know you'll clean that mess up & make it righteous.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Jesus! That looks like my wiring (AKA.... the free kind!) I'd be seriously pissed if I paid for that.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

[soapbox]
    Hey guys, I just wanted to throw in my 0.02$ on the situation... My friend is the owner of this boat. I had suggested that he contact jonyb when he was considering buying the boat to have him do the install (paducah is pretty close to our hometown) but the jokers at the dealership convinced him it would be simple. There are very few people I would let touch my system -- probably david from earmark, grant west, jonyb, and chucktronics. This is the reason why! I live in STL and have been fielding phone calls from my buddy for the last two / three weeks about all of the problems with the stereo he has had. He paid a lot of money for this boat (not that all wakeboard boats arent expensive, but.. ) - and then paid an an excessive amount to have the Rev10s and some LED lighting added. I was shocked when he told me he didn't have WS420 & Sub installed after what he paid! When he started sending me pics of the wiring, i was cringing. I am not a professional installer by any means - but even in the worst days my stereo installs looked 10x cleaner than this mess. They didn't even hook his ipod hookup in the back - he's thought he had a messed up headunit for the last month!

Lessons learned are: a) avoid this dealer, and b) do your homework before you have someone do an install...

[/soapbox] - back to my malibu forums ... haha.

Thanks for the opportunity to fix this thing Clayton! Hopefully when it leaves here it'll be up to his expectations, but it won't leave if something isn't right.

Got everything stripped out of the console last night. What a mess.....

The USB wasn't working because it was pulled too tight and the cord separated, same thing with the remote cables. Everything up there was way too tight, but the battery cables were all about 4' too long.
    The dealer that installed the lights had lampcord speaker wire running everywhere for the LED's they installed. It was just ran all through the boat, never wire tied. Remove a panel, see wires hanging all the way down to carpet.
    They disconnected the courtesy lights and used the switch for some aftermarket LED's, then used an ACC switch for the LED's in the Rev8's. The last ACC switch turned the transom lights on. I wired the aftermarket cabin LED's to the ACC swith with the Rev8 LED's, and connected the courtesy lights back to the courtesy switch. That took all of 5 minutes. Blows my mind that they wasted all that lighting instead of combining switches.

Sub and box should be done by this weekend, the rest of the parts will be here after that. Should have this thing done next weekend.
    My Install Gallery

Go John!!!!
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

I agree, looks like it was raped by a vinyl cutter machine. No offense.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001