Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

wet bunks go without saying. You try to do it once dry! My wife isn't confortable yet (its only been 12 years with boats) backing in or loading the boat so its a one man show for me. I think the drop hitch is the ticket though for my situation. My SN likes to have just the top of the fenders underwater. I have bow stops on it so I ride on just short of them, through the turnbuckle on and drive up, then winch it tight. If I don't then the rub rail get screwed up when the bow rides up on the stops.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Almost everyone that has issues with a boat buddy backs their trailer in TOO FAR. The boat needs to be able to ride up on the bunks so that it raises the nose of the boat to the proper level. You will have to power it up a bit, but with practice it won't be a ton (definitely not the obnoxious Bass boat power load style).

Another reason to have it out of the water a bit is so that the boat can self center more easily. The bunks are positioned so that they integrate perfectly with the chines on the hull. I come in really slow until I feel the boat center itself, then I give enough power to move forward and just meet the release on the boat buddy. You pretty much have to go all at once, though. If you go halfway up and then stop, it's virtually impossible to get the boat moving again. You might as well back up and try again.

It's worth it to learn. The thing is awesome when used as intended.

Your backing your trailer in too deep. Back the trailer all the way in as others above had said. Get the bunks wet and then pull the trailer up right to the point you see the fenders cresting the water. This will work at most ramps. The issue is many people are scared to drive up their bunks. They are meant to be driven on. Do the above and it will set in perfect every time. I know some with the 24SSV may have a valid complaint and changed their trailers, but I have never seen another Supra not line up perfectly. They are a love / hate thing and once you figure it out you will love it.....

Oops did not go to second page and read Jclose8 statements. I agree 100% obviously.....

I'm hoping a drop hitch will help but not really confident it will. I have tried as posted in the last and the boat is almost fully supported by the bunks (100% in the front) and the bow just rams into the hitch about 3 inchs to low. I have to force the bow up causeing the bumper to leave marks on the gell coat.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

It has nothing to do with your drop hitch.... (well could but you are talking minute measurements with a drop hitch) Bottom line is your trailer is too deep.... Look at what you said above..... Your front is on the bunks. If your rear is still floating you will be higher in the back and still ramming your boat buddy. Pull your trailer out further, get the entire boat on the bunks and drive up the bunks. You will hit perfectly every time. It is next to impossible to miss it if you are completely on your bunks. Make sense? Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Diggs; 06-26-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Winch, bow roller, done. No marks, no stuck latches, no damaged fiberglass.

Whatever loads your boat hoagy -- only 2 times with my monster 24SSV have we "missed" and not had a good load, and those were both at ramps
    way steeper than we normally use - so we didn't get it just right. I love it - but can understand why some don't. Do whatever makes you have fun - if loading
    causes stress, then change the way you do it, even if that means taking the buddy off and putting on a roller - life's too short to let a trailer mess it up.
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by tg0824SSVGG View Post
    my monster 24SSV
    Exactly. Come try that in a low bow running classic. Cruuuunch. There is a reason the older boat trailers had the wedge poles for the bow. Not nitpicking or hating, like you said, go with what works.

I didn't like mine at first and was going to switch it out then had a buddy show me how his worked one day. I've never looked back and it works great. Makes for a quick launch. I'll launch and retrieve by myself, never get wet, and be quicker than others without it.

I have an 07 22ssv and I don't know how much the trailers vary but I'll back the trailer in until the tips of the front bunks are just water level. My trailer fenders are typically a couple inches under but this varies ramp to ramp. I have noticed that it has always worked for me by gauging my trailer depth by the front bunks no matter what ramp I'm on. The bunks center the boat and it takes just a little power to get it to latch. The only time I've had issues is when I forgot to set the latch... whoops.

Just be gentle until you are used to it. I've see others give it too much power and the latch still works, but it jerks the truck and the boat. Definitely makes me nervous. It does help to make sure the mechanism is well lubed and working smoothly and you want to replace your bunk carpeting if it gets thin anywhere.

Good Luck.

Oh yeah, also keep people out of the bow. It drives up much easier if there is less weight up front.
    Last edited by Bkrobz; 06-27-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    07 22ssv 340