Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1986 Saltare

Default 1986 Saltare

Hello I am a new Saltare owner. I found this site looking for opinions and concerns after I already purchased the boat.
    Not the brightest bulb in the box but here we go. This boat has all of the following: New floor on top of very rotten stringers,the vinyl is ok but the wood bases and backs are shot, the drive shaft rubs on the side of the hole in the hull, and the motor (351) falls on its face when given any throttle. Oh and the gell is a nice faded maroon color.
    Here is my question....how do you pronounce Saltare.

Thanks

Jason @ Viper Customs (who worked at Supra for many, many years) told me that it was pronounced "Sawl-tar-eee" but I've always said "Sal-tair."

Welcome to the club!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Saltare is spanish, it means "to bound or jump".
    1986 Saltare
    2004 Excursion 6.0
    2004 BMW X3

Thank you for your help on this.

I just bought an 87 a week a go, i owned an 87 15 years ago also.. I am being stupid but here is what i am doing

1. it had a tower I am diassembing it powder coating it black adding 4 bazooka speakers and a light bar
    2. added a second battery
    3. having a custom cover made that not only covers the top but wraps under the entire hull so the gel coat is uv protected and the hullis protected from flying debris while towing.
    4. had all the runners on the trailer replaced with 2x6's doubled so they are in essence 4x6's recarpeted them\
    5 . entire hull buffed stickers removed
    6. new winch, change all the lights to LED's add LED lights under the trailer(for the glowing effect)
    7. Powder coating trailer and adding chrome diamond plate to the top of all standing surfaces..
    8, new guide covers
    9.had LED added under all seating edges and one LEd to each cup holder,,( the cupholder idea was an idea I found on this site) also adding LED's to the under side of the tower.
    10. led added under all the rub rail around outsides edge so entire boat hull is illuminated at night.
    11. new blue tooth stereo 1000 watt amp bug kicker sub woofer.
    12 custom retractable bimini top.
    13 Any one else have some cool ideas? i bought an older boat (only had 400 hours on it) but i rather put a few thousand i an older boat and trick it out it has a new floor and composite stringers..

Photos, dude!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

trpl0600-

I am also a owner of a 86 Saltare and am in the major rebuild process. Ive done a complete stringer job, rebuilt/modified the swim platform, stripped and re gel coated most of it and am working the interior. Strange thing with a boat....once you start it's hard to stop. lts and lots of hours....good luck and take lots of pics and measurements.

Good to see some more Salts being resurrected. I hear ya trpl, 2+ years and I'm almost done - well as done as projects like these ever get. Let's see those pics!
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

As of today I still haven't done a thing to this boat. I have ordered a carb kit and will try that when it comes. I did all of the basic tune up parts and I guess the carb is next. If I get this to run properly I will try to align the motor and drive and run it in the river. If that is a success I wil enjoy this ride until it gets cold. I know the stringer on the left side is bad but the right one is quite solid. I just hope to get it to run and make sure it is sound mechanically before I sink a lot of time and money into this project.

impeller, tuneup kit, carb rebuild, new water separator filter...you're off to a good start. check the gas too. today's gas does not last as long as it used to.

NEVER trust a previous owner unless you personally know them and can go kick them in the butt if something wasn't maintained correctly.

another salt-r-ee pronouncer here. not many with 351's. will be interesting to hear your experiences.