Default 1986 Saltare help

I have just purchased this boat with all the things that can be wrong with it. I was hoping to run it for awhile to be sure the motor and drive are ok but it seems I cannot. The drive shaft rubs the hole through the hull and I imagine that is causing a very bad vibration. The motor has 130 psi on all cylinders and I think that is OK but it falls on it face when any throttle is applied. It does Idle very nice and will get to 2500 with no issues. I have looked at the rebuilds on here and you guys do some amazing work. I do not think I have the ability to take the top cap off of the boat. I am wondering if I can just do the stringers from the bow back and remove the foam and leave it out?
    Here are some pictures I took when I bought it
    Thanks 102_0006 (Medium).JPG102_0001 (Medium).JPG102_0002 (Medium).JPG102_0003 (Medium).JPG102_0004 (Medium).JPG

The drive shaft rubbing the shaft log is a big time sign that the engine is out of alignment. (And this caused my boat to sink once.) Here's what I would do to start: Check engine mounts. Are they solid? Pull out a few of the lug nuts and see what comes out with them. Clean/dry wood or black mud? If there is mud -- you're screwed. Stringers are shot. If there is some evidence of solid wood -- buy a lottery ticket, get some slightly larger lag bolts and secure those buggers. Then you can move on.

Next step is to pull the coupler, drive shaft, and strut. Strut and drive-shaft should be checked for straightness and repaired if they are out of spec. Both should be able to be checked by a prop servicing facility. Looks like you are in IL? Someone may have a recommendation for you.

Now -- in the event that your stringers are shot, you'll need to do some work to see just how shot they are. Without a doubt, you'll want to start by pulling the floor and removing as much of the really gross wet foam as you can. Then you'll want to drill some test holes in your stringers to see just how far up they are rotten. Knowing what I know now, I believe it's easier to pull the entire cap and replace them in their entirety -- but when I did the job, I didn't have the expertise of the forum and did exactly what you are describing -- I only replaced my stringers from the bow back as the ones in the front were still solid. In hindsight -- I believe that this was more work/effort than just pulling the cap would have been.

Sorry if I'm the bearer of bad news -- but -- it's (most likely) going to be a little baptism by fire. Good luck!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Oh, additionally -- this is the time to make sure that your new stringers will stay dry. This will involve re-seating the Supertrapp exhaust baffles and through-bolting your swim platform brackets with the proper sealants. At that point, might as well do the rudder (since it's probably the last thing leaking) and you'll be bone-dry when you get back on the water.

It's only taken me 9 years of ownership to get to the "bone dry" point. So.... no rush!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

This might be helpful.

http://www.planetnautique.com/Correc...nersManual.pdf

It's the manual for a PCM engine. There is a section in there on how to align your engine properly, as well as other great maintainance how to's.

The Manual is great thank you. The stringers are shot! I was told the floor was good and the motor runs good. I was lied to, and I didn't know how to check any of this until I checked this site after the fact. The boat seems like a good base so I will try to get the stringers and floor fixed properly then try the motor alignment. I did a tune up and that didn't help the motor at all. I will order a carb kit and go from there.

Thanks again