Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damaged Prop

Default Damaged Prop

I hit a rock last weekend and it dinged my prop pretty good. I've never changed the prop before, but after reading a few posts, I figured it was something I could do myself. I pulled the boat and checked it out. There were 2 bolts holding the prop on, no cotter pin. I realized that I didn't have the right size wrench with me, so I went to the marina shop to ask to borrow one. The service manager at my new marina claims that they have to use a special tool to get it off. Is this true? Or are they just milking me for some extra money?

Also, I'm wondering if anybody has a prop for my 1988 Mariah? Right now its got a 14x12 Left Hand Cup Michigan Ni-Bral with a 1 inch shaft. Anybody have something like that they are looking to get rid of?
    Thanks

The special tool is a prop puller. its a c clamp with a forked or u shaped end that fits around the shaft and on the prop so you can apply a significant amount of pressure to pull the prop off. sometimes you will need to heat the prop and or tap it to free it loose.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

So, I can't just wedge a block of wood to prevent the prop from turning? Then get a longer bar to exert the extra pressure needed?

You don't want to bend the shaft trying to get the prop off. I am sure there is a way to do it, but this is what he's most
    likely talking about - I carry one of these next to my prop wrench and spare prop:

2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

I've been looking to pick one of these up for a while, but they seem pricey for what is basically a fancy C clamp (skidim's cheapest is $75). Anywhere sell em on the cheap? Or should I just suck it up and buy that one next time I order stuff from skidim?

I was able to pull mine with the long (~8") standard 3 arm puller from Harbor Freight.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

I'm with mike on this one. Have had my prop on/off and handful of times with a standard 3 arm puller, works Great!
    85 SunSport - "Under Construction"

How many of you lap your prop to your prop shaft?

I use valve grinding compound to mate the two surfaces together.

Here is a good link for proper prop installation
    Last edited by kvand347; 06-28-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: added the link
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

I've never used a prop-puller and I probably go through 2 props/season.

MAP gas and a rubber mallet knock it right off every time. No reason to be worried about banging up the old prop by the time it is coming off.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

i have the puller too. last time i bought a new prop i paid a little extra for the 'kit'. a bag for the prop (keep my spare in it now), prop puller, and wrench. i think it also came with some cotter pins.