Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Starter Problem??? Help Please!!!

Ok Boys,

Had an early end to my 4th of july today. Wanted to see if you guys can help with this one.

It seems that for while now my boat has been harder and harder to start. Once it gets going it is fine but it has been harder and harder to get it to turn over. When turning the key it acts like its got a dead battery. I turn the key back off then crank again and it struggles but it fires up. That is... until now. Today it did the same thing...did the routine I jut described, and it started up. Got to the middle of the lake and turned off the boat....thats all she wrote. I tried and tried but it wouldn't even try to turn over. I even tried to jump it but got nothing. Didn't change when jumpers were attached so I rulled out the batteries.

Does this sound like a starter issue? Should that be the first place I attack?

As Always...Thanks for the help.
    -----------------------

2004 Supra Launch SS

Acme 913 prop, WS 420, Kicker L5 sub, JL/Kicker amps, Kicker in boats, Polk mm in roswell bar, 3000# ballast.

"Never underestimate a man that Overestimates himself."

Try jumping accross the starter relay. Check for 12 volts at the relay too on the little wire when the key is turned to the start position. Recheck and clean all the connections at the battery and throughout the starting system.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Quote Originally Posted by DAFF View Post
    Try jumping accross the starter relay. Check for 12 volts at the relay too on the little wire when the key is turned to the start position. Recheck and clean all the connections at the battery and throughout the starting system.
    +1 on this. Also check the battery cables and power cable to the starter itself. Overtime these can become corroded internally and will draw huge amperage and heat up like crazy. I would say it sounds like your starter is shot.
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Velvet Drive - 1:1
    Fully Rebuilt

Thanks for the help guys. I will try all of that. Worst case, how hard is it to swap a starter? I have don it on an old Chevy, years ago but not a boat.
    -----------------------

2004 Supra Launch SS

Acme 913 prop, WS 420, Kicker L5 sub, JL/Kicker amps, Kicker in boats, Polk mm in roswell bar, 3000# ballast.

Next question.... rebuilt starter or new?
    -----------------------

2004 Supra Launch SS

Quote Originally Posted by cmtaylor777 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I will try all of that. Worst case, how hard is it to swap a starter? I have don it on an old Chevy, years ago but not a boat.
    Should be fairly easy, I am not familiar with your setup but should be straight forward. If I were you I would go with a new starter. It may cost you a few extra $$ but in this case it is worth it. Reliability is the name of the game in boats.
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Velvet Drive - 1:1
    Fully Rebuilt

Quote Originally Posted by cmtaylor777 View Post
    Next question.... rebuilt starter or new?
    Rebuilt.... usually it's just the casing and the gear that are kept... the guts are the same as the new one without the price.
    The same can be said of alternators... price difference hear in Canada is around $100... for what a casing? For all intensive purposes a rebuilt one is new.
    Last edited by wiatowski; 07-05-2012 at 03:40 PM.

I'd check dbelectrical.com before you find one locally. Probably half the price and I've had good luck with their boat starters (but bad luck with their jet-ski starters.)
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

i've always done rebuilt. they can bench test it to see if it even needs rebuilding.

I would rebuild it, the symptoms your having is exactly what I had and it was the starter