Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Keeping engine cool while floating . . .

Has anyone made any modifications to help keep the engine cool while shut down in a cove? Maybe a fresh-air vent on top of the doghouse to allow hot air to get out, or maybe some forced outside air ducted into the top of the engine compartment? I'm trying to prevented the feared vapor lock that seems to be rearing it's ugly head in this extreme heat . . .
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

I was thinking about adding some vents somewhere. One maybe in the front mid-way so air can make it in, and maybe two smaller ones on the side towards the lower back portion of the dog house. I need to find some that dont poke out to much so you dont kick them or snag shorts on them either though. I will be following this to see what anyone adds their ideas. If I do something I will post before and after pictures.
    Shane

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch

Why not just open the dog house for 5-10 mins?

Quote Originally Posted by wiatowski View Post
    Why not just open the dog house for 5-10 mins?
    I could do that, but with people in the boat . . . .

I just thought of something. The cupholders on my doghouse are covered with vinyl, but the holes are still there. What if I cut the vinyl, and installed a vent like what is on the stern and then made a duct going into the engine housing to allow hot air to escape?
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Now I'm getting on a roll . . .

Or, I could install an exhaust fan in the compartment on the back side of the doghouse and blow it out through one of the vents!
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Wouldn't your exhaust fan essentially do the same job? I have never felt the air coming out so I don't know how effective it is at removing heat, but if it's job is to remove fuel vapor, it should be exchanging a vast amount of the air in the engine compartment. Might be different for a direct drive though.
    2005 22 SSV GG

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    Wouldn't your exhaust fan essentially do the same job? I have never felt the air coming out so I don't know how effective it is at removing heat, but if it's job is to remove fuel vapor, it should be exchanging a vast amount of the air in the engine compartment. Might be different for a direct drive though.
    On a direct drive, the exhaust vent for the fuel vapors is in the bottom of the bilge, because the fuel vapor is heavier than air. So the main exchange of air happens in the bilge area, leaving very hot air trapped in the upper part of the dog house.
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

yes it should do the same job.

just remember if you vent out if the lid there might be engine noise consequences.

If you really want to put one in I would vent it into the little compartment in the back of the dog house, so all you would have to do is take off the door and turn the blower- which is inside the engine compartment on. That way when your not using it the door would be back on , thus solving any engine noise issue.

Quote Originally Posted by csuggs View Post
    I could do that, but with people in the boat . . . .

I just thought of something. The cupholders on my doghouse are covered with vinyl, but the holes are still there. What if I cut the vinyl, and installed a vent like what is on the stern and then made a duct going into the engine housing to allow hot air to escape?
    Why not hook up a low ef. blower to the louver vents and run the blower

Quote Originally Posted by wiatowski View Post
    yes it should do the same job.

just remember if you vent out if the lid there might be engine noise consequences.

If you really want to put one in I would vent it into the little compartment in the back of the dog house, so all you would have to do is take off the door and turn the blower- which is inside the engine compartment on. That way when your not using it the door would be back on , thus solving any engine noise issue.
    there should be enough room inside to mount a blower to the top of the dog house .