Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Haugy, I think Clint is trying to address the heat sink issue that stems from letting the engine sit after running and then trying to start it up again.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Heat sink? Like Vapor lock? You're talking about the fuel boiling or evaporating out of the carb?

Gonna happen, you'd have to really keep that area cool to prevent that from happening. Is the carb running properly? Only a little fuel should evaporate out of the overflow while sitting.

You guys need to spend more time on the water and less time inventing problems to solve. Has anyone with a carb'd engine actually had this problem??
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    You guys need to spend more time on the water and less time inventing problems to solve. Has anyone with a carb'd engine actually had this problem??
    I haven't... I agree with Haugy though, I open the dog house at the dock while packing everything up.... If Clint was/is going to do it, the best way to do it is to draw the air out.... and agree if vented there you would get engine fumes.... so probably not a good idea.

Haugy, Jetlink is correct. The carb is all good, the boat is running fantastic and it does not overheat while running. I can go all day and keep it real close to 160. And if I shut it down and restart after just a few minutes - no problem - i can merely bump the starter and it idles and purrs. When I'm shut down for 20-30 minutes or more, the gauge indicates 185-190 and I have some trouble getting fuel. If I give it a squirt or two with the throttle lever before I crank, it will start but doesn't want to idle. I then have to throttle- up until I see the gauge hit 160 and then bring it back to idle. After that, it runs great again. So I was just looking for a way to keep the motor cool while floating. It's really not a big deal and probably not worth the trouble.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    Nope, in 102 degree heat last week and 95 degree most of the weekend. Cranks beautifully ever time (except when ignition wire is loose).
    I don't even have to pump throttle, just turn key. Jetlink is my witness.
    You sure you had to turn it? I could have sworn that you just thought about bumping the ignition and the motor beat you to it... Haha, what a dream your boat is man! I have to look at upgrading my ignition I think.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

If you're having hot start problems first rebuild your carb, clean everthing meticulously. If it still does it you can try lowering float level a bit. If it still does it try a phenolic spacer. If you don't have room to add one you can have one cut to wedge shape to replace the metal wedge. It will keep your carb cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    If you're having hot start problems first rebuild your carb, clean everthing meticulously. If it still does it you can try lowering float level a bit. If it still does it try a phenolic spacer. If you don't have room to add one you can have one cut to wedge shape to replace the metal wedge. It will keep your carb cooler.
    I just happen to have a phenolic spacer . . . . somewhere! Carb was rebuilt "meticulously" last summer by a retired "old school" drag racing friend of mine.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

just get some 1 x 1 boards about 18 inches long.
    Lift the front of the doghouse and place them at a 45 degree angle flat at each front corner.
    Props open the doghouse 1 inch while sitting still and allows for venting and cooling.
    works like a charm
    If you want a great effect use a 2 x 2 board for example.
    When not in use store them in the ski locker

I just installed a blower on the dog house roof last friday. Wierd to read the thread today. I will toss up pics when i can, but basically drilled thru the back of the dog house cabinet and inserted the blower in the hole. I also drilled out two of the cup holders on that side for some increased direct flow. Worked great. Good points in the thread in regards to the fuel vapor. The lower blower is key. It is nice to not have to put my Reefs under the doghouse lid for ventilation of heat anymore.