Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    Here's a scenario I'm also familiar with. I got mine fixed on the Mariah, now dealing with it on the Salt.

Here's a question. When you start it hot, does it help to pump the throttle? Mine does. I can turn and turn the key and it would take about 7-8 seconds before it starts and would run a little rough till I gave it some gas to flush out the carb. But if I start it, and give it a lot of gas, it fires up and runs fine. This would lead me to believe my fuel is boiling or evaporating out of the carb overflow vents over time.

I think my carb floats need to be adjusted up a bit to allow the engine to run a tad bit more rich. This should provide more fuel to the intake upon starting to allow it to fire up. My Mariah would always start on the first turnover, but she also had the slightest rich smell.

I can't see the problem being anything electrical as long as your points and plugs are good.

Anyone else with other ideas? Since Csuggs won't chime in with his.
    Haugy - I was hoping someone would say exactly what you said and what I'm seeing on this thread because that's what I think it is too. Mine is acting just like yours. It's def not electrical in my case, gotta be the fuel. If I give it a couple shots, she starts. OUI mentioned the timing issue. I know we advanced mine soon after I purchased the boat, but I don't recall where we set it. What are some of you guys setting your timing at?
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Hey guys,

I have the same problem. I thought it might be a overheating issue. Changed impeller and still the same. Set points and timing 6 BTC. Still the same. New coil, still the same. Cold she starts instantly. When hot I pump a couple of times and she kicks over. I would guess it's a carburetor issue.
    Rebuild in the fall.
    '86 Comp TS6M

I'm not getting the idea of adjusting the floats so it runs richer?
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Try running a 12 volt source up to the coil disconnected. Then it acts up touch it to the coil and see if it makes a difference. These older boats build up resistance when they get hot you may not be getting a strong spark.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

OK I’ve been watching this thread hoping someone would come up with something NEW.
    I have tried.
    New pcv valve
    Adjusting the chock form rich to no chock
    Bypassing the resistor to the coil ,new coil
    Electronic points
    Timing changes
    Wedge plate to level up the carb
    Changing the float levels up and down
    Adjusting the idle air rich to lean
    New carb
    Extra fan in the engine compartment
    ½ thick plywood carb gasket to keep the carb cooler ,,that works pretty good at cooling the carb but didn’t help the starting any.
    I had a 1978 Ford Van with the same Engine and carb that I put over 150,000 miles on over about 10 years never touched it, that would start most every time with just a touch of the key.
    Well I’ve been dealing with this for over 26 years it’s probably a issue that’s not going away with out going to EFI. Thanks guys
    Attachment 0
    Attached Images Attached Images