Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Ski Pylon Mounting Bracket Help

Ok, we have a 1992 Supra Compt Ts6m that is in great need of tlc. And that is what we are doing this summer. We are the 2nd owners since 1994. Well since we have had the boat the lowest part of the large bracket has been rusting and flaking into the bildge pump area. Infact now that I am closely looking at it this year its lost about half the metal that used to be there. But I have inspected the large bracket and found it to be a very sturdy custom piece for these boats. One major problem is that they used steel and didn't paint it. I have found many little things that Supra shouldn't have done for these high class boats, and this is the most major thing.

Now to my question. How do you get the floor piece out to remove the other 12 bolts to then remove the entire bracket. I can see seems in the original carpet which I have partially cut up and found seems in the floor boards. Only prob is that it appears to be all glassed to gether

Has any one done this??

Thanks,
    Joe

PS. can't wait to futher explore the fourms on this site. Cant believe i just found it!

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

This the bottom of the bracket that sits against the bottom of the boat and is held in by the front 2 bolts for the front skeg. As you can see it is greatly rusted. I might try to reinforce it but atm i am concerned about getting it out and painting it to stop the rusting.

You might have to cut the section of floor to get it out. When I did my rebuild I set mine up so I could pull that board out to get in the bilge.

I too had this happen to my pylon bracket(although not as bad- sorry). I vacuumed up all the loose rust, and wire brushed what I could get to. I then painted it through the bilge pump access plate and though the engine area. I used one of those 'Turn rust to black primer' type of paints, then regular Rust-oleum. It has been 5-6 years now and I only get the occasional rust flakes now. It was soo bad before that my bilge pump was getting clogged, but I am not ready to tear my floor up ...yet!
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

well we were thinking on either taking a grinder with a cutting wheel or a recip. saw to the floor board and then just find some way to remount the piece. has anyone had the bracket out before?? it looks to be one impressive piece(when in good shape).

I have had mine out, heavy as crap that's for sure

how long ago did you have it out? plus. did you end up cutting the floor or did happen to have the engine out and just slide the bracket out?
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

I did a full stringer job on my boat over the winter so I had to replace floor and all. I put it back in a couple months ago prob around march

what boat do you have? our boat every thing has a good thick layer of glass. cant find any wood any where. and the boat has seen water come up onto the carpet because the plug was forgotten once... but our stringers feel very study. The only way we can think of to remove it is to cut the section of floor out and then find a way to remount it back in. Unless someone know how the floor comes up.
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

Your boat has wood under the fiberglass. I have a comp too.