Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

just for context, the bracket on my 87 comp with 800 hours that was bought and has lived its entire life in NH is painted black and pretty much rust-free. The pics of yours scared me enough to go check. I recalled it being clean, but your talk of unpainted steel had me worried! I wonder what caused yours to get that bad. Is the rest of the bilge paint in good shape? What about the other brackets and metal fixtures in there?

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    Plug a machine into what? The carb? Or the hour gauge? There is no way to know how many hours on that engine and it really doesn't matter since engines are cheap, quick, and easy.
    hey. dont forget the electronic coil pack! i never thought of it but it prob does keep track of hours on the boat. I might just look a Supra dealer as we got a new hour gauge and it already has 3.5 hours on it just from me running it in the drive way.
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

Quote Originally Posted by matt k View Post
    just for context, the bracket on my 87 comp with 800 hours that was bought and has lived its entire life in NH is painted black and pretty much rust-free. The pics of yours scared me enough to go check. I recalled it being clean, but your talk of unpainted steel had me worried! I wonder what caused yours to get that bad. Is the rest of the bilge paint in good shape? What about the other brackets and metal fixtures in there?
    well thats the thing. EVERYTHING is glassed over but the bracket. the bilge pump area is fine except for the chunks of that darn bracket floating around in there. But yes. The bracket from what I can see in all crazy positions I make to see it is just bare steel. No paint to be found.
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1984 E-Scow

huh. maybe you just got a weird unpainted one from the factory. It seems like the QC/QA at the factory in the 80s wasn't quite what it might have been. But that's not all too surprising from a smaller manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    Plug a machine into what? The carb? Or the hour gauge? There is no way to know how many hours on that engine and it really doesn't matter since engines are cheap, quick, and easy.
    Weather or not its factory on mine I have a plug under the dash with a chip/board on it that the harness is plugged in to, thats what skiers pier plugged in to to get my hours when I bought it. want pics??

Quote Originally Posted by jshepp122 View Post
    Weather or not its factory on mine I have a plug under the dash with a chip/board on it that the harness is plugged in to, thats what skiers pier plugged in to to get my hours when I bought it. want pics??
    oh. the idiot box keeps track?? i have to find a supra dealer to find out how many hours are on this thing. I'm expecting 1500+

1984 E-Scow

I know this is an old posting but I have a '91 TS6M with the rusty pylon bracket issue that has been slowly developing over the years. It has recently developed a little looseness or minor movement at the bottom of the black pylon where it seats on the bracket, if indeed it does slide onto a fitting on the bracket. So, I'm assuming it's not all one piece then. Pictures for reference:

IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg

Questions:

1) Is there a maintenance manual that describes how it comes together and how to repair/replace the rusted pylon bracket?
    2) Can the pylon be removed from the lower bracket? Is it loosened by the two set bolts shown in the attached picture?
    3) Is it easier to cut out that section of the floor to replace the bracket? (see note below)
    4) what are the torque specs for the bracket and pylon set bolts?

note: If I'm going to eventually remove the engine for an overhaul then it appears the floor doesn't need to be cut out.

thanks for any input on this subject.

Default Rusty ski pylon bracket/baseplate replacement or repair

Quote Originally Posted by eatsleepski View Post
    I know this is an old posting but I have a '91 TS6M with the rusty pylon bracket issue that has been slowly developing over the years. It has recently developed a little looseness or minor movement at the bottom of the black pylon where it seats on the bracket, if indeed it does slide onto a fitting on the bracket. So, I'm assuming it's not all one piece then. Pictures for reference:

IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg

Questions:

1) Is there a maintenance manual that describes how it comes together and how to repair/replace the rusted pylon bracket?
    2) Can the pylon be removed from the lower bracket? Is it loosened by the two set bolts shown in the attached picture?
    3) Is it easier to cut out that section of the floor to replace the bracket? (see note below)
    4) what are the torque specs for the bracket and pylon set bolts?

note: If I'm going to eventually remove the engine for an overhaul then it appears the floor doesn't need to be cut out.

thanks for any input on this subject.
    ------------------------------------------------------

(Ref: 1991 Supra Comp TS6M, 1330 hrs., year-round use, never winterized, etc., etc.)

I guess I have to answer my own questions, but in case anyone else has this problem the following info applies to my own boat anyway and may apply to yours, who knows how they build these things:

1) I haven't located a service manual that describes this level of maintenance. So, figure it out.
    2) yes the pylon can be removed from the baseplate by loosening the 4 set bolts which are accessible from the bilge area. Tight access but do-able without removing anything.
    3) the section of the floor at the pylon has already been sectioned off and secured with at least two screws and lightly fiberglassed over to conceal the screws and this fact. Remove this first and you can get to the baseplate. Figure it out.
    4) torque specs would probably be as tight as you can get them. Guessing near 80+ ft/lbs for the pylon, like a wheel lug net. Don't over tighten the bolts to the stringer though. It's wood. Figure it out.

Final note: I haven't found a source for a replacement baseplate so I'll have a welder fab me a new one or repair the rusted bottom part of the bracket.

Ok, first since you have a 92 there isn't any wood it is all composite so thats good. Second there is a member on here that just had this happen and that piece of flooring comes out, there are screws holding it down hopefully he will chime in on this and can give you more details.
    -cjtpilot...........1992 Supra Comp Ts6m..........351 PCM
    Big Air tower
    Radar Theory Slalom, Fulltilt wakeboard, barefoot.

Screws and bondo hold that floor plate in place. Happy hunting, I have the more problematic pre-92 boat so I just rip out the floor if I need to get to the pylon.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski