Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Chauncey 2000 Malibu Response LX Monsoon 325

Thanks for inputs above. I got it figured out already. Here are a few pics. Yes, without a little courage, critical analysis, some input from other Supra owners ... and a little luck ... this at first seems an impossible task left up to the experts for the big bucks. But, when I'm not skiing I like to have all this extra fun. I guess that's why they call it pleasure craft marine. I work on my 4Runners too.

The pictures tell the story. I'll check with SKIDIM to see if they have a recommendation for a replacement bracket, but I may just get mine repaired by a welder. Thanks again.

IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eatsleepski; 10-28-2015 at 10:40 PM.

You won't be able to replace that bracket. Just bring it to a good welding shop. Guy I brought it to torched of the old flat piece off at the weld. Said it would come out cleaner and didn't trust cutting blade would slide and get crooked on weld. (I couldn't believe how clean in looked) fabricated a new piece for the bottom and welded it on.

Quote Originally Posted by foxriverat View Post
    You won't be able to replace that bracket. Just bring it to a good welding shop. Guy I brought it to torched of the old flat piece off at the weld. Said it would come out cleaner and didn't trust cutting blade would slide and get crooked on weld. (I couldn't believe how clean in looked) fabricated a new piece for the bottom and welded it on.

That's what I figured. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by eatsleepski View Post
    That's what I figured. Thanks.
    FYI. Repaired/Welded bracket. The bend was slightly off so it was necessary to use hard plastic cutting board as a thick gasket. I think this will help keep the new steel from always resting in water too.

IMG_1455.jpg
    IMG_1459.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg

Anyone have advice on methods for separating the pylon from the bracket? Mine is corroded in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make a small cut down the bracket tube that holds the pylon, that should help relieve the pressure caused by all the corrosion in there. Then, pull the pylon, clean up the corrosion and paint it. Weld the cut you made and then install the whole thing again.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

My bracket is exactly like the one pictured. The tube is welded top and bottom. Will cutting the tube loosen it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will relieve the pressure from the corrosion that I suspect is holding your pylon in the bracket. A small cut up the back of the bracket I want to say should allow you to get the pylon removed and then clean it all up, paint and put it back together. That is what I had to do with mine to get the bracket and pylon to come apart after being together for almost three decades.

Don't forget to weld up the bracket after you get the pylon out but before you paint it too.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I assume you loosened the 4 bolts that hold pylon in. Try dousing pb blaster on it every day for a week. Put a pipe wrench around a rag and try to twist it loose. If that doesn't work. Try heating with torch