Default Rebuilding teak stern rail, need recomendations for teak oil or Teak sealer

I pulled off the stern Teak rail from my boat because it was getting pretty ratty and loose. I do a ton of water sports so it gets a lot of use and water on it. I am going to reuse the actual rail, but make some new plug supports(see picture below) since they are so bad and are pretty easy to make. I drilled out the plugs and chiseled out the remainder with a small chisel.

I am looking to find the absolute best teak oil or teak sealer. I do not want to have to do this for was long as possible. I have used the Watco Teak oil finish with moderate results. I am not as concerned about the color or the look, but rather the protection o the wood. I have heard good things about starbright teak sealer. any recommendations? how long has it held up?
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

Personally, I hated this rail / handle. I did away with it and went this direction.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

No rail on topside, just a teak strip and added a grab handle on the transom. Works well and you no longer trip or sit on that elevated OE piece.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ckracing View Post
    Personally, I hated this rail / handle. I did away with it and went this direction.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

No rail on topside, just a teak strip and added a grab handle on the transom. Works well and you no longer trip or sit on that elevated OE piece.
    -Chris
    interesting, so you did something similar to what the sunsports have on the cap in the middle on top? Thats not a bad idea! Way easier to get on and off if I have to service it.
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

Default Rebuilding teak stern rail, need recomendations for teak oil or Teak sealer

Found another photo in the archives showing the one piece teak solution to replace the original handle / pedestal design.

Quote Originally Posted by ckracing View Post
    Found another photo in the archives showing the one piece teak solution to replace the original handle / pedestal design.
    what kind of teak oil/sealer do you like?
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

Do not use a "sealer" that builds a barrier. Use a pigmented pendtrating oil that can be reapplied over the top of the previous application
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Go over to teamtalk and those guys have a recipe that really holds up.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

Thanks everyone for all the help, I ended up using a penetrating teak oil instead of a varnish type. I think it was Watco Teak oil. All of the spindles were pretty trashed from years of abuse, so I decided to make some new ones. I ordered a piece of teak off ebay for around $15. It was pretty light compared to the original, but I don't mind. I also purchased some new stainless decking screws to hold down the rails as well, since the old ones were a little stripped.

I am getting ready to mount the rail, and am wondering how should I re-install the new teak plugs. I have seen people glue them and malletthem in, and then lightly plane them with a tiny plane, but have also heard other methods as well. Has anyone tackled this yet

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

If you plug them with a teak plug, small amount of glue, lightly tap in with a Mexican speed wrench (hammer) and let the glue cure then take a chisel and remove the excess material of the plug. Be sure to go at a slight angle to the grain and a slight angle to the wood. Don't get too overzealous with the glue or the chisel.

Clear as mud?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski