Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3m 5200

Default 3m 5200

First off I would like to say that this is an amazing product. I spent a good chunk of the weekend replacing drain plugs, resealing swim platform brackets, rudder box, and almost every through hull device on my 90 Conbrio. But how the heck do you get it off of your hands? I have tried brake cleaner, carb cleaner and an assortment of soaps and this stuff doesn't come off. Also does anyone suggest using it to reseal rub rail?

I think i might have used gas...the stuff is just nasty, which is why I started using marine goop instead.

Diesel always works for me. But then I normally wear rubber gloves when I use stuff like this.

This is why you should (usually) use 4200. The 5200 is impossible to remove!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I used lacquer thinner, got the crap in my hair too and came out with thinner, I use marine goop now its thicker and dries faster, 5200 is like water

i had 5200 in my hair for a week after redoing my strut last yr....haircut seemed to remove it just fine!!!!
    90 Conbrio

Quote Originally Posted by HtxConbrio View Post
    First off I would like to say that this is an amazing product. I spent a good chunk of the weekend replacing drain plugs, resealing swim platform brackets, rudder box, and almost every through hull device on my 90 Conbrio. But how the heck do you get it off of your hands? I have tried brake cleaner, carb cleaner and an assortment of soaps and this stuff doesn't come off. Also does anyone suggest using it to reseal rub rail?
    3M4200 is recommended for a bond and seal that may be removed at a later date. The 3M5200 is recommended for a more permanent seal - little bit stronger bond I believe. My general rule of thumb is 5200 below the water line . . .
    As for the rubrail, I think the general practice is simply a good quality pure silicone sealer.

Clint
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Finally got it with quite a bit of acetone. I hope the problems I was having removing from myself are a clear indicator of how well it is sealing the hull of my boat.

[QUOTE=HtxConbrio;78169]Finally got it with quite a bit of acetone. I hope the problems I was having removing from myself are a clear indicator of how well it is sealing the hull of my boat.[/QUOTEpo

this is exactly what i thought...now if my boat went in the water every once in a while i'd know how well it works.....
    90 Conbrio

So then come up next weekend...