Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Malibu Surf Gate

So I am sure everyone has seen or heard of the new side trim tabs Mailbu has named Surf Gate. What are your thoughts and who is brave enought to try to design and retro fir some custom side tabs on a Supra?

First I've heard of this. Doesn't make any sense to me! Apparently you activate the surf-gate on the opposite side of where you want to surf. Cool!

I don't see any reason why Bennett trim tabs wouldn't work exactly the same way. There also shouldn't be a huge force pushing/pulling on these surfaces (far, far less than a wedge.) I don't believe that you'd have to reinforce your transom to support these other than adding backer-plates to the inside of where you mounted the trim actuators.

Someone is going to DIY this. It will be interesting to see how effective it is.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

The videos showing the waves are pretty impressive, but I'm still skeptical.

The claim to fame is the ability to switch sides in two seconds . Although its a cool idea I dont see it as a big problem solver. We only surf about 10% of the time and goofy surfers are rare . It takes about the same time to switch sides as it takes to switch riders. I haven't seen any pricing yet but $ 3000.00 has been mentioned. They also say its not available as a retrofit. I'm not a big BU fan nothing against them just my preference. The Surfgate would not temp me to buy one.

It would be nice for us...we surf about 50% now and we have 50% goofy to regular riders in our family. That ratio changes when we add more people, but I digress. It will be interesting to see what other manufacturers use.

From what i have seen, it definately helps to clean and lengthen the wake. Having an 89 saltare i'm gonna need all the help i can get creating an excellent surfing wake. I'll definately be adding a detachable version of this to my boat. (once winter breaks that is.)

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear more real world experience before diving in, but definitely considering it as an option. I've got a goofy daughter & still haven't found the right combination for either side yet, even with 2800# in my Salt. Maybe I just need to spend some time with someone that knows what they're doing?
    Last edited by sybrmike; 01-20-2013 at 01:30 PM.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

I ride goofy myself, i can ride regular but it is not natural to me.....20 yrs of snowboarding. if you have a chance you should check out martin archers work with his surfgate or as he calls it...Teakgate. he has provided enough proof of concept with his 87 sunsetter that I'm gonna pursue it. http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/r...oSurfGate2.jpg
    http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/r...rfgateWave.jpg
    The first pic is without the gate and the second is with the gate.

These pics are from my testing of my home made surfgate.
    no ballast, surfgate only.

rear locker mostly full and 1 bag on the seats

rear locker and 2 bags on bench

rear locker and 3 bags on bench and about 400 in the bow

these were just me and my wife on the boat, later i picked up a buddy and his daughters and surfed it. the wave was even better. But with a water temp of 52 degrees it was a short ride even without getting wet. I have one more 500# bag to use but thats for another day. Now i just have to build my real surfgate or wave shaper! These pictures don't due the actual wave justice.
    Function before fashion!

Any pictures of them on the boat?
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001