Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Co2 poisoning

Default Co2 poisoning

2 of my kids ages 5 and 15 passed out and had to be rushed to the hospital sat night. Dr said it was Carbon Monoxide from the boat exhaust. They were sitting on swimdeck while boat was running and i was putting stuff away getting ready to head back towards camp. They are both ok and home now but a very scary situation when you are holding your little boy in your arms and he is out of it. So please just keep reminded of the possibilty of this happening to your family and friends.

Sorry to hear this but I hope they are both ok. I always turn the motor off when someone is on the swim platform, I know in the past when I haven't and I've been back there I've gotten a headache from the fumes.
    2008 Supra Launch 21V - Currently for sale

Glad everything turned out well. My brothers friend was leaning over the back of the boat, passed out and slid into the water. His buddy saw him do it and thought he was joking but quickly realized what had happened. He had to jump in the dive down to retrieve him. Spent some time in a hyperbaric chamber following a helecopter ride across state. It's Co by the way. Monoxide is singular, dioxide is two.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Out of curiosity, what boat and motor? I can't see signatures on tapatalk if it is there

Fwiw, there is a FAE group buy discount currently in progress on the moomba site.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2006 Supra 24SSV

I never turn mine off, just pull the neutral pin whenever someone is on the platform gearing up. You smell a bit of exhaust but nobody lingers there or gets face close to pipes, kids are probably more susceptible to it though. Glad they're alright.

This type of thing is scary as he'll hope all are ok.

Due to this very thing wakesurfing is against the law in Indiana now.

90 bravura 351 1.23/1pmc40 Pefectpass stargazer wake
    You only need two tools wd-40 and duck tape
    If it should move and doesn't wd40
    If it moves and shouldent duck tape

Glad everyone is ok. Good thing to post to keep this at the top of peoples minds as well.

"Due to this very thing wakesurfing is against the law in Indiana now"

Well given this was from a kid sitting on the swim platform, it sounds like they should ban swim platforms instead of wakesurfing..... <huge sarcasm>

Most new boats have a cat converter and so don't have an issue, and in addition to that I also have an FAE. In addition typically much higher levels of CO are seen on the back of the boat rather than in the water [ reference ]

Banning things as a knee jerk reaction is just stupid.

Glad the kiddos are safe.

If you haven't educated yourself on this, and you own a boat or are on one, you need to understand this phenomenon and an incident like this should teach everyone to pay attention.
    2009 21V

Unless they have ammended this law that went into effect last July, wake surfing is still legal in Indiana behind an Inboard. Here are a couple articles from Indiana papers when it came out. Not to say the exhaust fumes are not dangerous. I have some riders that are super sensitive and get head aches after a couple surfing runs where others can be back there all day. I personally had a bad experience with a houseboat and CO before detectors were mandatory. I always cut the engine when anyone is getting on the platform. Just not worth the chance something might happen.

Indiana DNR Conservation Officers would like to remind the public that, effective July, new laws will restrict “wake surfing” or “teak surfing” behind certain motorboats.

Teak surfing will become illegal behind all motorboats powered by an inboard engine, an inboard/outboard engine, or an outboard engine while the boat’s engine is running. This includes just hanging onto the swim platform while the motor is running. It is the boat operator’s responsibility to make sure this is not being done.

Wake surfing, on the other hand, will become illegal behind an inboard/outboard or an outboard motorboat. Additionally, it will be illegal to swim, float, or float on a board in the wake directly behind an inboard/outboard or an outboard motorboat that is underway.

The law itself:

Sec. 3. An individual may not do the following:

(1) Operate a motorboat inboard or have the inboard engine of a motorboat run idle while an individual is holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, swim ladder or any part of the exterior of the transom of a motorboat while the motorboat is underway at any speed.

(2) Operate a motorboat powered by an outboard motor or equipped with an outdrive unit while an individual is:

(A) holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, swim ladder or any portion of the exterior of the transom of a motorboat while the motorboat is underway at any speed;

(B) swimming, or floating on or in the wake directly behind a motorboat that is underway; or

(C) floating on a board on or in the wake directly behind a motorboat that is underway using the wake itself as the means of propulsion.

(3) Operate a motorboat with the number of individual riders on a towed device that exceeds the listed capacity on the towed device or the owner's manual.

ec. 4. An individual who violates this chapter commits a Class C infraction

New wake, teak surfing laws start Friday

By Amanda Jacobson
    Staff Writer

Published: Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:08 PM CDT

Just in time for Independence Day weekend, Indiana conservation officers have announced a new wake and teak surfing law effective Friday.

The law will restrict wake surfing and teak surfing behind certain motorboats.

Indiana DNR Conservation Officer Gene Davis said the new laws were designed to keep those on the water safe from accidents and engine emissions.

Davis said the carbon monoxide emitted from a motorboat engine has given multiple teak surfers carbon monoxide poisoning in the past.

“It’s been a big enough problem throughout the state that this all needs to be passed so we can prevent people from doing it,” he said.

Wake surfing now will be prohibited behind an inboard/outboard or an outboard motorboat.

It also will be illegal to swim, float or float using a board in the wake directly behind an inboard/outboard or an outboard motorboat that is moving.

Teak surfing now will become illegal behind all motorboats powered by an inboard, inboard/outboard or strictly outboard engine while that engine is running. Holding onto the swim platform while the motor is running, even if the boat is still, will classify as teak surfing and will be illegal.

Davis said anyone violating the new law likely will be given a warning or citation. Citations in La Porte County can cost as much as $185, he said.

If a person operating a boat refuses to comply with the new law after a warning and citation have been given, Davis said they also may be asked to take a day off boating on Lake Michigan.

Call the Indiana Dunes State Park office at 926-1952 for additional information.
    Last edited by Sluggo; 07-23-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    2005 22 SSV GG

Wow - glad everyone is OK. I am a carbon monoxide survivor -- I had a bad case, most folks with as much as I had
    don't survive to talk about it.

I have no recollection of when it happened -- but the treatments were TERRIBLE in the hyperbaric chamber - I had to have 6 extended
    treatments. It wasn't related to boating or faulty gas appliances -- another story for another day.

I am SO happy that it all turned out well, it often doesn't. One thing I wanted to point out is this. I was told since I had CO poisoning before,
    I am likely to be more susceptible now - so especially for the kiddos, be hyper-vigilant about shutting things down.

The cat motors do not ELIMINATE the risk, while they might lessen it some.

Todd
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.