Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 92 Sunsport - new to me :)

Took the jump and picked up a boat. I've been dreaming of it for a while and started looking a few months ago. This one was advertised and chatted about a while back. It was on craigslist located north of the twin cities in Minnesota. Trailer is not great as was discussed on this board. I actually blew two tires on the way from Lindstom to St. Paul on the night I picked it up. Now I have two proper trailer tires that are rated for the weight of the boat and they handled the 1000 miles back to Toronto without issue.

I added some pictures to my profile. I think it is in decent shape and can't wait to get out on the water and try it out. I do have to rebuild the base for the cooler cover and have to get a few screws for the door to the storage area above it. Other than that I can use it while working on cleaning up the rest of the boat.

I also added the tower but still need to put on the racks, and the mirror. Eventually there will be some Fat Sacs in the picture but not this year.

I was having some issues starting it. I think it was because the batteries were dead. Once I charged both of them and put them back in it started up with no issues. If I only had the one battery hooked up it would only make a click sound. I'm wondering if i need to replace the wiring like some other people on the form have done.

Engine starting and running.

And since it will be the first question I'm sure, I paid $6500 for the boat and trailer. I think it is a decent deal. We don't have a lot of these available in Canada and the ones we have seem to cost a lot more than the US ones. Fortunately, I had to do some work in MSP so I was able to get $767 towards the cost of bringing it back to Toronto.

Looks like 1200 hours on it.

20120722_194428.jpg
    Last edited by jeffkaasmason; 07-23-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Congrats! GREAT price for a composite boat!!

Better start doing your push-ups. Wet sanding is going to really wear you down on this thing.....
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Ops - I thought I added this to the General discussion thread not the classified thread. Any way to move it?

Anyway, I thought I'd try and spend a whole bunch of time wake boarding and a bit of time back on the slalom to get in shape for the wet sanding as she needs a lot of it.

My buddy and I got out this evening on lake Ontario. It was a bit rough but nice to try her out. It seems to run very well except for a starting issue which I am investigating.

welcome to the fam.... My Conbrio sits just northwest of Jane and St.Clair and you'll find it on Cookes bay most weekends in August. DOn't hesitate to ask for help... Us canuckled Supra owners know how good we got it, being these things wsere born in Tenn..........
    Hey Doc or Todd, can you throw this over to Gen Chat????
    90 Conbrio

YES, another Toronto Supra owner!!! Welcome! Like Maple said, don't hesitate to ask for help, we're definitely here for you. You got a great deal on that boat by the way...

Nice boat and welcome to the forum! Like others have said, you practically stole that boat for $6500. Mine is one year newer and I paid almost double!
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

Thanks guys - It's great to know there are some people so close by.

I was wondering about Cook's Bay and how it would be wave wise. I'm going to have to get out there and try it out. We actually looked at a place on the water in Keswick a few years back but decided to stay in TO. With the boat in hand I kinda wish we made a different decision back then.

My first order of business is to figure out what to do about my trailer. It really sucks when it comes to loading and unloading. One of the beads the guy added actually snapped loose last night when loading the boat. The front tower with the crank moved slightly as well when I was trying to load the boat back onto the trailer. I think I will be trailering the boat rather than leaving in a slip so I need to fix this on or get something different.

I also dinged the prop while trying to get the boat off the trailer. It had a ding already but now its really bad. I need to get it fixed but also am interested in getting one that is better for wakeboarding. I think a read a few threads on that subject but need to go back and do some research.

Does anybody know of a good place to get a prop rebuilt around Toronto. I am assuming the props on these boats can be rebuilt like the props on the outboards I grew up with.

Hey Mapleleaf - Do you have your boat on your property or is that a storage location at Jane and St. Clair? I'm still trying to figure out some logistics like - were the hell am I going to keep this huge thing. I live at Woodbine and Gerrard and my property is 16.5' by 110'. Luckily my neighbor does not use the lane access to her back yard so it is currently squished in there. My wife is not going to put up with that though so it won't be there permanently.

20120724_104757[1].jpg

Hey Kvand,

I'm starting to think I did well on the price. I though I just did OK.

It looks like you have tricked your boat out well for wakeboarding which is what I am trying to shoot for eventually. How do you figure out what kind of prop to get if you are planning on adding ballasts for surfing and wakboarding? I see you have a four blade with some numbers that don't mean much to me yet. Also, what is the best place to order those from. I do have to travel to the states another 3 times over the summer so I can order on to my hotel if it is better to buy down there.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkaasmason View Post
    Hey Kvand,

I'm starting to think I did well on the price. I though I just did OK.

It looks like you have tricked your boat out well for wakeboarding which is what I am trying to shoot for eventually. How do you figure out what kind of prop to get if you are planning on adding ballasts for surfing and wakboarding? I see you have a four blade with some numbers that don't mean much to me yet. Also, what is the best place to order those from. I do have to travel to the states another 3 times over the summer so I can order on to my hotel if it is better to buy down there.
    I think you can be satisfied with the price you paid...I would have jumped at that price! You will not regret having a boat with composite stringers over wooden ones. Your year ('92) was the first year supra made their boats with composite. The early models in that year still had wood and the later ones were switched to composite. The way we all can tell is by your windshield. It is curved like mine, which means composite.

As for figuring out a proper prop () I'd call two places: Acme Marine 1-888-661-2263 and/or Nettle Props (512) 837-7707 (ask for JT).

Just a heads up, I contacted both places and they gave me different opinions on which prop to use. Either way though, I don't think you can go wrong with their suggestions. They know their stuff! The prop I use is not the best one they recommended, but I found it for cheap on craigslist and couldn't pass it up.

Hope that helps! I'm sure others will chime in.
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

There's a place in Belleville you can take your prop to get fixed... will cost around $50 depending on how bad it is.... although by the time you pay the fuel to get there I would assume there has to be a place in T.O.... ask around at the marinas. Congrats on the boat.