Default Upgrading Hippo Ballast in 2002 22SSV

So I'm trying to figure out what to do about my ballast system.

I didn't think that I had a problem with wake size or fill speed until I rode behind my buddies 08 X45 and then I realized that my wake was tiny and I barely get the same pop behind my boat. The fill speed isn't that big of an issue but I'm so tired of having to constantly mess with the ballast system to make sure everything is working correctly ie. are my pumps primed, is everything empty all the way, is everything completely full. I just wish it worked better.

As everyone knows the factory hippo ballast system pretty much sucked. I've had my boat for 2 years and every year I seem to have to keep messing with the ballast system and it never seems to get much better. I currently have removed the factory manifold and built my own manifold out of PVC and I'm using two intake pumps. One pump is an Attwood A750 and the other is the stock Rule 1100 feeding into 1 stock sprinkler valve feeding the non surf side sack and then 2 of these Orbit 3/4" Valves feeding both the center bag and the surf side bag. Everything is pulled through the stock intake scupper and emptied with stock pumps through stock lines and locations.

I currently have replaced the stock bags with 2 old school fat sac 750's that I've had forever and the center bag is still stock. I'm toying with the idea of purchasing the center gravity games 1100 but don't really want to spend that much money. But I also want a larger wake. I'm thinking of upgrading the center to Gravith Games center and keeping the stock center for use while surfing instead of unhooking the non surf side sack and moving it over. Question about GG center bag in my boat is will it actually fit? It claims to be quite a bit longer than stock and it seems like my stock bag fills most of the compartment already.

I want to either upgrade to 3 Tsunami T800's with vented loops and check valves utilizing the stock scupper location but removing the grating just like what was stickied in the modification section by FMAN. Or upgrading to get 3 jabsco reversible pumps (I can get a pretty good deal on them) and still use the stock intake. So what is everyone's opinion on what would be the most cost effective/efficient/reliable route. Would it be necessary to add more intakes with either option? I don't really want to if it's not going to help considerably.

Is it possible with the new GG center bag to get a wake comparable to my buddies boat. The more I ride behind his boat the less and less I like my wake.

I'd upgrade the rears to 750's and see were that gets you. I just about have my set up figures out with 750s in the back and the GG center. You can take your fat save and put them up front instead of the GG center. I wanted to have as little loose ballast as possible. I have to run extra bags in the surf corner to get enough push though. If you upgrade the rears it will give you the original bags to move around.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

That's kind of what I was thinking. Today I loaded the boat down probably the most I've ever loaded it. I had the center stock bag full, a 750 in each rear compartment, one stock rear bag in the walkway, the other sitting in the floor behind the back seat, and 50 pounds of lead in each rear compartment. I couldn't get the wake dialed in perfectly but it wasn't bad at all. I was riding at 65' at somewhere between 22.5 and 23. It seemed a little better at 23. The water was really choppy tonight and I didn't get to ride that long but I did enjoy the wake for the most part. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the GG center sack and see what happens. Then I'll have the stock center to load on one side for surfing.

I thought you were surfing. The bags alone should be giving you plenty of wake. Probably way to much weight in the rear. I'd mess with your wake plate.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I redid mine completely in my 02 SSV. I used 3 1'' thru hulls 3 reversible ballast puppys, 1 inch tubing, and new wiring and switches, with 750 lb bag for surfing, 2 400 lb bags for wakeboarding and 100 lb bag in locker. It is very fast to fill and empty. Great surfing and wakeboard wakes.

Expensive, but fun and reliable.

I used this gentlemans experience as a model.

Somehow Cant post link, but check under "boat and dock stuff" at End of Rope Gang website

Search for "Ballast system for my "antique" SAN"

There are pictures of the build
    Last edited by ORIF; 07-26-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: wrong link

Well I decided today to order the gg center bag and went ahead and bought 3 t800 pumps. So no ballast puppies for me. I'm feel certain that in the previous post you probably meant 1000 center sack and not 100? Also for riding and surfing where do you usually put the plate. I think I'm around 25% give or take a little for both.

For surfing I usually fill the front factory sack the 750 in the back compartment and another 750 half on the back seat and half on top of the rear compartment and play with plate to get it as clean as possible.

Also which hull years are similiar to 02. I'm thinking up to 05 but I'm not positive