Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Steering getting hard

I have a 2003 Launch (Inboard, not V-drive). The steering is becoming harder & harder.....I was told it is usually due to sitting over the winter.

Is there a Zert fitting to grease or do you have to replace the cable?

Steering cable at the rudder end sits low in the hull of your boat. They are pretty vulnerable to pulling moisture in over time. Time to replace your steering cable. I had to do it on my 03' SSV at the start of the summer. Should be able to find a replacement cable online around $150.00. I think access is pretty good on the DD.

Also changed our steering cable this summer. Difference is being able to use a pinkie to steer the boat vs both arms and muscling it.
    I am now tempted to put a zerk fitting in the aluminum tube to use to apply grease. However in the meantime, I have pumped the aluminum tube full of grease and pushed the cable thru to prevent having to replace it in the future.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

I think I'm going to be replacing my steering cable in the next month. Are there any special tools I'll need, other parts, or things to be watchful of when replacing the cable? I plan to call skidim to get the correct cable for my 03 Launch ss, but wanted to see if there's any helpful hints or advice from the forum.
    2003 Supra Launch SS

The steering is hard on my '87 saltare as well. I plan on replacing the steering cable at the end of April when I get it out of storage. Is there a certain cable that anyone recommends? And does anyone have any diagrams that I could use to make the process a little easier? Thanks.

I have an '86 Salt and I ordered the following :
    http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...4189&id=337395

I have not yet installed it, but am sure I got that info from another member who has a Salt from the site.
    86 Saltare

skidim is another great place for parts. those guys have answers, too. i've had skidim on the phone helping with pointers while i've been in my boat working on it. they know old supras.

it's not a difficult project but it's not really fun. disconnect the old cable and slide it out. try to prevent grease and grime from getting on seats/carpet. then wrangle the new one into place and reconnect.

Default Steering getting hard

There should be a zerk on the rudder afaik

There is a zerk on the rudder (which I only discovered after rebuilding it last year. I went ~10 years without greasing it once!) If your steer is stiff, it's probably too late. The grease packing isn't as much for lubrication as it is for sealing and keeping the seals dirt/dust free.

Steering cable isn't too hard to replace, but I'd replace the helm at the same time. It's not much more to buy the "kit" and then you know that almost everything is new once you are done. The kit that I did came with good instructions.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

so what dose it mean when your steering is only hard to turn one way and by hard I mean two hands but not muscling the wheel over. one way you let go of the wheel it will turn with your pinky.
    89 supra conbrio - big air h20 tower - jl aoudio - Rockford subs - custom wrap