Default Another shaft packing question

I was replacing the shaft packing on my 24 SSV today, and I have to say that it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. And I highly recomend PB Blaster if you have tight nuts.
    I was a little surprised to find 4 rings of GFO packing fiber, and they looked pretty good too. I had a constant trickle of water coming through the shaft seal without the boat in gear at all the last time we went out. So all that said, is 4 rings the number that I should put back in? I'm putting the regular wax impregnated material back in because that is what I have. Will be installing tommorrow. Info tonight appreciated.
    2005 24SSV
    5.7 Indmar 340hp

I am assuming that you tried adjusting the nut(tightening to reduce the dripping) If it was tightened all the way then you will probably be able to fit a fifth in. Do 4 tighten nut by hand then back off and add 5th. .02
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by docdrs View Post
    I am assuming that you tried adjusting the nut(tightening to reduce the dripping) If it was tightened all the way then you will probably be able to fit a fifth in. Do 4 tighten nut by hand then back off and add 5th. .02
    Has anyone installed a dripless system on there supra. I had one on my nautique at one time and it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Griswold View Post
    Has anyone installed a dripless system on there supra. I had one on my nautique at one time and it was great.
    I have a oj dripless....there were some probs at the beginning but now my bilge is bone dry. Takes about an hour to convert maybe 2 if its your first and unfamiliar but an easy diy and you can check your alignment while your at it
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Doug,
    I did try to tighten the packing nut, but I have to say that after looking at the material that I took out, I should have probably tried harder. I was under the impression that I should only try to tighten by hand. I couldn't move it. I went ahead and put 4 rings back in. I'll have to wait another week before I can put the boat back in the water to see how she works. You have me thinking that maybe I should put a 5th ring in. I think I have the room.
    2005 24SSV
    5.7 Indmar 340hp