Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Another surf thread 242 Launch

So like I mentioned over in general discussion, we got our 2012 242 on Friday.

We had a plan for trying different setups for surfing to begin with the stock ballast. We tried just the stock rear bag full on surf side, which for us is goofy. There was a ride-able wave, well, the wife is the real surfer so she did all of the early testing and SHE could ride it, me, probably not so much. But is was obviously not very large. It had a nice shape just not much push. Of course this came as no surprise as 400 lbs in the rear corner of this stretch limo is like tossing a hotdog down a hallway, not much impact.

We went through some different setups using the stock ballast and the approximately 2000 pounds of bags we had from surfing the 86 Sunsport. The best wave coming with as much weight as we could stuff in the rear compartment surf side and under all of the seats in the back surf side. We also had all the stock ballast on board. the wave is big, powerful like you can't imagine and long. The end of the day yesterday I got to ride the final setup and it was all I could do to keep the board from gnawing at the rear of the boat. It just keeps pushing you forward. I could ride as far back as the rope would let you then the curl would come over and grab my back leg. A better surfer could certainly go back even further.

We had a Ronix rope on the tower but I don't know how long it is. It was way back, I mean WAY back compared to the 86 even with the 2000+ pounds we carried in it. I would guess we had about 1500 over stock ballast all on surf side. Couple of cool things, the boat leans very little, the rub rail is still 6+ inches out of the water and the bow sits low enough that I can drive and look through the windshield. The Zero Off cruise is wonderful and keeps the boat right on speed. The steering is feather light and it goes where you point it. A couple times I walked to the back of the boat while underway, NOT recommended for obvious reasons, and it just kept going straight.

The only complaint so far is the FM reception is really poor. The little wire antenna under the front is inadequate for our area. I'm thinking a small antenna hidden under there will remedy that. Wouldn't worry about it and just use music on media but the local station does promos on the lake and we like getting free shirts etc...

I will get pics up and videos soon.

Great looking boat..where do you guys live? We are in Cincinnati and boat at Lake Cumberland in Kentucky about an hour south
    of Lexington.

My daughter surfed easily with 98% port side full....nothing in the front was best. Seems the calmer the water the better too. I can
    go for a while but not as long as her...she only weighs 90 lbs and I'm 175

How long is your board? We have a Hyperlite Broadcast 48. Thinking the bigger size 54 might be better for adults 150 lbs and up

Ok so here's a video. Took me a while and it's not even good quality, the lens was fogged a bit. But it does an OK job of showing the wave we have so far. I have sent drawings to Fly High to get a custom sack made so soon we will have it dialed!!!

We, well my wife could surf with just the surf side rear full but we had the extra bags and wanted to see what we could come up with. I'm sure we will be completely happy with the wave this thing makes when we get done playing. The wife even said she liked it better than the one behind the competition Enzo she surfed down in Florida at an event. That was wonderful news.

We have several boards, she likes her skims at the moment and I am using one of her Triple X surf style boards. I am pretty sure it is 4'8", I am about 180lbs.

They really do build a pretty boat. We are in Central Georgia and go to Lake Sinclair.
    Last edited by Kma4444; 08-07-2012 at 06:56 PM.

How fast we're you going? Our wake looks similar at 9.4 to 10.2. Every time I got really going with slack, I would end up practically
    in the boat or at least on the swim platform

That was 10.8 probably. I had her speed up a bit to 11.1 and it was all good. Still don't have that all figured out just yet we were so ecstatic to have such a good wave so easily that we left a lot of options unexplored. Our wave would for sure shove you right up to the boat if you let it, LOTS of push there.

Very nice boat!!! Let me know what you figure out on the ballast settings and speed per I am trying to find the best setup as well. I run 10.5mph it seems to be the sweet spot but still playing with it as well. So what upgrades you planning on if any?
    I do love the new prop I put on mine even with full ballast it will pull and plane out no problem so it was a good upgrade, however Iam about 6000ft above sea level.
    2011 242V Launch 409

http://www.667rockers.com/

Nice wave! Looks like you have alot of play room from the deck to the back break. Can't wait to see what it look's like when you get your custom sac's. When the Wife and I had our 24 launch I put 750 in port rear locker a 400 as far up as I could on the port side bench and had the 1100 in center locker and stacked the kids in the bow. Our wave was the same height you have in your video and had a lot of length to it. Awesome boat by the way!!

Are any of those race cars on track anywhere? They look like an early Stohr at the front. I used to run Sports2000.
    image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoney View Post
    Great looking boat..where do you guys live? We are in Cincinnati and boat at Lake Cumberland in Kentucky about an hour south
    of Lexington.

My daughter surfed easily with 98% port side full....nothing in the front was best. Seems the calmer the water the better too. I can
    go for a while but not as long as her...she only weighs 90 lbs and I'm 175

How long is your board? We have a Hyperlite Broadcast 48. Thinking the bigger size 54 might be better for adults 150 lbs and up
    I have the broadcast 4'8" and I'm 6'2" 210. I surf that thing behind our LSV all day long no problem...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '11 Ronix District 143
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: Liquid Force Faction 44
    Surf: Broadcast & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Thanks for the board input...I think I just need to get a better wake formed and work on my technique