Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 92SupraComp View Post
    looks like your optical sensor is bad. as you can see we exact same engine. the optical sensor needs to be pristine in order for it to work. take it apart and carefully clean it with brake parts cleaner and clean the connector with the cleaner as well.
    This sounds like a reasonable approach, and a good troubleshooting exercise anyway. It sounds like, as the mechanic said, something electrical. You said the boat operated fine the first time you used it, so that's why I asked about whether it had been used much this season, and about whether you had recently added fresh fuel. If it's working fine and then suddenly not, that sounds more electrical than anything else. Base timing doesn't just magically change, but if something electrical is messing with your advance, then you can have run issues relating to spark timing.

Trying the simple things first is always a good approach.

switches unnecessary after mallory conversion Just manage the gauges 454 runs strong
    92 Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by kreckley View Post
    switches unnecessary after mallory conversion Just manage the gauges 454 runs strong
    no need to convert if it still works or can easily be fixed. ours still runs like a top with the coil pack. if it starts to give us trouble we are gonna rebuild it rather than fuss with conversion.
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

Hey Guys,

I decided I should try and do some reading so I could understand what was being suggested to me. I found the manual for the engine and started reading it. One thing I have come across is the fuel requirement. I did not know that it required a mid-grade gas with octane rating of 89. I had filled the tank with regular gas in the US when I brought it back to Canada and then filled it again in Canada with 87.

What would you expect to happen given that I am using the wrong gas. The note bellow says I should adjust the timing if using 87 so that makes me wonder if I should expect poor performance.

Clipboard01.jpg

That alone shouldn't be causing the problems you're experiencing. With the pro-tec ignition you have, I'd be looking at that first; while it does work and people do still run originial pro-tec systems, many have replaced the system entirely in favor of a conventional distributor with electronic ignition. I'm not suggesting that you do this yet, merely that the ignition system you have is prone to trouble and that's where I'd start looking if it were mine. That being said, if you're comfortable checking and adjusting timing, then that's an easy thing to do, it's free (assuming you have a timing light), and it certainly can't hurt just to check.

jeff I have always worked on every motor I'VE owed If your spark is intermitent Timing will not do squat for you and will just waste another weekend of fun. You need to find if it is electrical or not and probably is...... My conversion was cheaper, faster and my boat has never I repeat never started easier and run better than it does right now Do not be frightened of turning your boat into a nascar conversion with no restrictor. It truly is A no brainer period I f you have compression and gas This boat will run like a scalded cat. Don't over think it
    92 Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by kreckley View Post
    jeff I have always worked on every motor I'VE owed If your spark is intermitent Timing will not do squat for you and will just waste another weekend of fun. You need to find if it is electrical or not and probably is...... My conversion was cheaper, faster and my boat has never I repeat never started easier and run better than it does right now Do not be frightened of turning your boat into a nascar conversion with no restrictor. It truly is A no brainer period I f you have compression and gas This boat will run like a scalded cat. Don't over think it
    Your posts would be easier to understand if you took a little time to separate out sentences.

I think you're agreeing that it sounds like an electrical (ignition) problem. But fragments like "I f you have compression and gas this boat will run..." are not really helpful or true. Compression, fuel, and spark at the right place and time, in the right ratio, is what's required.

But again I agree with your last comment "don't over think it" because it's often the simple things, especially when it's been running well recently.

edit - just saw this other post relating to PROTEC ignition, maybe it's worth a call to this guy at Discount Inboard Marine (skidim.com) - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...gnition-issues

I'm not comfortable changing the timing and will put the proper gas from now on but thought I'd check and see the extent of the effects it would have.

This is the sensor I was talking about earlier:
    20120810_161603.jpg

It does have a crack in it. I thought this is what was referred to as an optical sensor but it does not seems to have optics. I found it on skidim.com for $37 and think maybe I should buy it. One thing I am wondering is; Would wiggling this sensor cause the motor to run erratic even if it is in good shape? The mechanic I had that took a quick look at the motor was convinced this was causing issues.

I think I'll try and order this part and see if that helps. Seems like a cheap start compared to the conversion kit @ $500-$600 (not sure which one I would need).

Thanks for the help everyone,
    Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jeffkaasmason; 08-20-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Sounds like you're on the right track. If you order it from skidim, they are generally very helpful and apparently their guy Vince knows a lot about the pro-tec systems as mentioned in the other recent thread I linked to above.

I never suggested changing the timing, but I was thinking if you had a timing light it is simple to check whether it's correct, or if it's changing, or advancing properly... etc. that's all. It can also serve to check for consistent spark at each plug wire.

Excuse me if you can't understand God help you with texting
    92 Saltare