Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Jeff DO NOT SPEND 500 TO 600 unless you love to burn cash Give me a call and I will tell you how to fix and where to order your parts I have no vested interest in any company but my own Doctor office. 317 432 2883 What you will end up with is a simpler set up and everything works. You won't get stranded on the lake when the computer sticks it up your ...... as it seems fit My 454 starts so well and I have owned it 18 yrs Runs perf and smooth You don't need skidim for this though they were helpful to talk to. This is the free education you need. Kevin
    92 Saltare

You're obviously a good dude...but please use some punctuation my man! Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Ptownkid View Post
    You're obviously a good dude...but please use some punctuation my man! Hahaha
    ^^this. I know you're trying to help and all I'm saying is there's a difference between a text message and the "paragraphs" you're typing out here. You throw in the occasional period so why not just go all the way? If I were the OP I would give you a call and get this figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by kreckley View Post
    Jeff DO NOT SPEND 500 TO 600 unless you love to burn cash Give me a call and I will tell you how to fix and where to order your parts I have no vested interest in any company but my own Doctor office. 317 432 2883 What you will end up with is a simpler set up and everything works. You won't get stranded on the lake when the computer sticks it up your ...... as it seems fit My 454 starts so well and I have owned it 18 yrs Runs perf and smooth You don't need skidim for this though they were helpful to talk to. This is the free education you need. Kevin
    Hey Kevin,

I may convert later if my problem is not solved by the crank position sensor or one of the other cheap sensors. I'll ping you for advice if I go that way. Sounds like you are mechanically inclined and do the work yourself where as I would need a mechanic to do it which would add a bit of cost to the conversion.

Thanks,
    Jeff

I talked to Vince and Roger at skidim.com and got some advice. They mentioned that I should consider converting the motor and get rid of the ProTec system but did give me some advice on how to check and see if the sensors are causing some of the issues. I did order a Crank Position Sensor (the one in the picture in my previous post) as it is cracked and wiggling it affects the motor.

To check if the other sensors are causing me grief, Vince told me I should disconnect them, and then tape the ends so they do not send signal to the computer. My problem is I don't know which sensor is which. I think I know a couple but I'm not sure. There are four that I see on the engine in the pictures below. I think that they are:

1. Water temp sensor
    2. Not sure
    3. Not sure (maybe knock sensor)
    4. Oil pressure sensor

Can someone help me identify them?

sensor 1 and 2 front top of engine.jpgsensor 3 left rear of engine.jpgsensor 4 lower front right of engine.jpg

Thanks,
    Jeff

1 3 and 4 are sensors to the computer 2 is water temp sender to the dash Your oil pressure sender is on the same T with the sensor. You dont have to be a mech to change this to electronic. It looks daunting and you will be amazed how easy it is I can walk you through this and your parts will be 1/2 skidim and you will save the mech fee and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. I just hate looking at the problem just fix and enjoy the power
    92 Saltare

FYI you dont need to disconnect any of the sensors or sending units with conversion. The sensors only get disabled when you convert Your gauges will work as before
    92 Saltare

Wanted to bring this back...whatever happened?? Sensors fix it? Did you end up converting?

Mine was acting up all summer. Usually a couple restarts and I can cruise the rest of the day without problems. Thinking about converting in the spring. How much kreckly for the parts? PM me what and where to find them.
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

I finally got to try out the boat this year and it seemed to work great. I bought the "R020012 - SENSOR CRANK POSITION" piece that I took a picture of earlier in this thread. I also bought the carburettor rebuild kit. Both from skidim.com. I brought the boat into a local marina herr in Toronto (City Marine) and got them to rebuild the carb, do a tune up, and winterize it. I just got back from a 4.5 month job in Dubai so I did not get a chance to try it out earlier.

We dropped it into Lake Ontario to try it out and it started up right away with no issues. No more stalling. No more hesitation. Cruises at 41 miles per hour and sounds great to me. I am not a mechanic but to my ears it sounded good.

On the weekend I installed an FAE that I bought last year. Have not tried it out yet but looking forward to that this weekend.

So I have not had enough time out on the water to say for certain that it is going to continue to run well, but so far it is looking promising. Fingers are crossed.

Next thing I need is a trailer. The one I have is not very good for loading and one of the beds just broke when we were launching it. Also the wheels look like they are tilted in from the weight of the boat.

20130708_130242_Golfview Ave.jpg20130708_130225_Golfview Ave.jpg

My buddy Konrad driving at full speed.

20130705_193916_Colonel Samuel Smith Park Dr.jpg