Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new prop

Default new prop

Some of you know about my prop shaft slipping out of the transmission and my prop getting dinged up when it hit the rudder. Well, I was wanting a new prop, so this just gave me a little more motivation. Taking the advice of some people here, I called JT at Nettle Props. After finding out about my boat and my activities, he recommended a ACME 541, 13x12, 3-blade prop. JT assured me that I'd like or he'd find me one I would like. The prop that got damaged was the original prop.

I test drove it last night. Unreal. Unbelievable. If I had known it would make this kind of difference, I would have bought one a long time ago. My hole shot is significantly improved. The mid range ride is SO smooth. It's like butta. And I picked up 6 mph on the top end. I can now easily hit 44 mph. It is like a different boat.

I had a friend ride with me and he owns a 2008 Nautique V-drive. Something like a 20 or 21 footer. He said his top end is 41 mph, and my hole shot is much better. And he supposedly has a "performance" prop add-on from when he bought it new. He's now interested in seeing what he can do to improve his performance.

Love it. I'll be at the lake all next week and you won't be able to wipe the smile off my face.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Sweet! I'll have to keep that in mind. Probably will get a new prop before next season and definitely sounds like he's the man to talk to. Did it seem to effect the wake shape or size at all?
    Daniel

'91 SunSport 10th Anniversary - "The White Whale"
    https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...ersary-Edition

Pics!!! Or it didn't happen! Oh, nevermind, forgot I was there... Seriously though, how about some pics of that new prop? Is the old one able to be salvaged and kept as a spare?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Dandamanf15 View Post
    Sweet! I'll have to keep that in mind. Probably will get a new prop before next season and definitely sounds like he's the man to talk to. Did it seem to effect the wake shape or size at all?
    I'm not really sure as we weren't geared for any kind of water sports, I forgot to check out the wake. I mainly kept doing quick starts and top end runs. I couldn't stop chuckling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Pics!!! Or it didn't happen! Oh, nevermind, forgot I was there... Seriously though, how about some pics of that new prop? Is the old one able to be salvaged and kept as a spare?
    Yeah, I should have got a pic of you hanging off my swim platform, trying to shove the propshaft back in the boat. Everyone else will just have to trust us on that one. But for the new prop, here's a pic before I installed it on the boat.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

When we put the 541 on our 86 Sunsport, it did everything Titan said AND made a big difference in our surf wake. It's been a while but the thread is here somewhere. We run around 2200 lbs and surf goofy. It does great!! The prop change really cleaned up the wake, knocked down the wash and eliminated 99% of the cavitation. I said it back in the old thread, I would recommend to anyone surfing one of these boats to start with this prop. Order it when you get your sacks!

Congrats & glad you're happy with the 541 - that's what I put on my project Salt (thanks to JT, as well). Seems like a good match for the Salt, 454, 1:1. Still only have 4 trips on the water since the rebuild, but so far it pulls strong and smooth all the way to mid 40's. Even seemed to hold it's own last weekend when I loaded ~2500 lbs playing around with the surf wake - no problems pulling up and holding speed.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Ugh, Rob, I like you and all, but right now I hate you!!! I'm really wanting a new prop for a better hole shot and maybe pick up a little top end and if this prop did that for you I guess I am looking to re-prop my boat. I just don't want to go spend the money on it at the moment so I guess I'll throw it on the wish list for christmas and see if Laura gets it...
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

After last weekend I may need to give JT a call, I had a request from my son to see his old man barefoot. Ben, I got video and will post for your varification. I could also use a little more hole shot for getting my arse up to slalom ski. Like you Ben this will be on Christmas wish list.
    1990 Supra Saltare

I am prob going to get hate mail for this, but I have no idea what prop I have or what the diamentions are on mine. I do know I wish I had more mid to top end on my boat, I think I am only running a little over 25mph around 3500 RPMs.
    Shane

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch

I've also got a 541 although I had it pitched down.... Seems to do better now for surfing with a lot of ballast.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.