Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Boarding ladder- any idea?

Occasionally I have guests on the boat that would like to get in the water, but don't due to the difficulty they would
    Have getting back in the boat. Does anyone make a telescoping ladder (specific to a inboard ski boat) I could mount under the swim platform that would hide away when not in use, but would be there when needed?
    Thanks in advance!
    86 Saltare...Bringing her back from the dead
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1130576...CNzSv_eNpez8TA

I don't really understand the "difficulty" of getting back on a swim platform. But I won't argue with you..... http://www.garelick.com should have something.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

difficulty comes into play with older members of the family....they cant climb on like us whippersnappers
    86 Saltare...Bringing her back from the dead
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1130576...CNzSv_eNpez8TA

I have been looking for a solution to this for some time now. I have the ladder from our old boat, and it is a great ladder but I cannot figure out how to mount it. It is one of those diving ladders that has one center leg, and it is angled like steps. I even lokked at little one step under-platform type steps. Those things seem too small to offer much help.
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

Unfortunately, you would need one that locks into place under there and these platforms aren't really strong enough to hold a through bolt in singular locations for a load. Meaning 4 screws with over a 150lbs might pull it apart. If you do this, make sure you use really BIG washers, big in diameter to spread the load.

I would try to find a top loading ladder that folds onto the top of the platform. Also, you could rig up your own rope ladder that secures to the rear tow eye. And then use wood as the spacers (steps). That way you can take it on and off easily and also helps them get in range of the handles around the rear seats.

I too have some family members who could not enjoy the water because of difficulties getting in and out. So, I added a retractable locking ladder under the platform on my Launch 242. The one I used is made by Marine Hardware, 3 step unit. We glassed in 2 mounting plates under the platform. These 2 plates are drilled and tapped and have bolts in them pointing down out of the fiberglass onto which the ladder is held with nuts. Since adding this for those who really needed it, we find we use it more and more. Climbing in the boat to clean it when on the trailer, when the kids are really wiped out after a tough set, etc. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any questions.
    IMG_1583.jpg
    IMG_1581.jpg

WOW! Nice work man!!! Can we get a picture or two of your glassed in plates underneath the platform?

How does it lock in place? Strap?

Do you have any pics of the underside or the install process? Did you get the ladder unit online or locally? If online, could you share the link? What do think your overall cost was to add this? I always thought I would need to put something together that had a brace back to the hull to keep the ladder from going under the platform. I have seen houseboats with welded metal ladders and they all eventually break and start swinging under the boat making it harder to get on than no ladder at all. What kind of weight rating do you think the ladder would hold given it is held in place with fiberglass vs through the platform?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have some large relatives that never get out of the boat and I know they want to.
    2005 22 SSV GG

Agreed, looks like nice workmanship & and seamless, functional addition. Great job.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

kjkimball....great work. I know with my older Sunsport(teak platform) I wouldnt be able to do that. One the stress would be hard on it, plus I would think it might drag some if someone was skiing. If anyone who is "large" that would put a ton more stress on the platform and could eventually come back to haunt you. I would think an over the rail ladder is the best thing. Here is one from Overtons, that folds up good. Good luck
    http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...r&merchID=4005
    Shane

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch