Default My new toy...1986 Supra Launch?

Hey guys, been reading this forum for a while and finally bought a boat. Its a 1986 Supra Sunsport that is in ok condition. It has a "Launch" graphic on the
    side and doesn't look anything like any other Supra Sunsport I have seen or read about. Was there truely a Sunsport Launch model in 1986? The tower looks factory installed being it appears the support plates would have been riveted to the gunnels before the 2 halves were assembled....but how big was wakeboarding in 1986? Did they even have towers at that point? This boat also does not have a ski tower in it, or even a crossmember in the stringers to support a ski pole so it doesn't look like there was ever one there. I know the stringers are a little rotten and that will be addressed this winter. I run a metal fabrication shop and we are usually slow in the winter so Ill pull it apart with our lift and do them then..I was even debating making an aluminum struction to replace them with but I know wood contributes to ride quality in these older boats. Anyway...I would really appreciate if anyone can shed some light on what this thing is as far as being a factory wakeboard boat or something someone just painted, stickered, and put a tower on. Thanks guys.

b1.jpgb2.jpgb3.jpgb4.jpg

Gary Rude
    www.patiencemetalfab.com
    [email protected]

Welcome to the Supra family!

The tower, graphics, and vinyl are all aftermarket on that boat. The ski pylon was likely removed by a previous owner. There's a lot of information on here about people replacing their stringers with wood and just sealing them and fiberglassing them in the correct way.

It's a 1986 SunSport.... chrisk nailed it. The tower was probably installed without the cap having been split. You can access the bottom of the gunnels through the speaker holes.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
    Welcome to the Supra family!

The tower, graphics, and vinyl are all aftermarket on that boat. The ski pylon was likely removed by a previous owner. There's a lot of information on here about people replacing their stringers with wood and just sealing them and fiberglassing them in the correct way.
    thanks for the info. If the ski pylon was removed then they did a good job of it....there isn't any support brace under the floor, and where it would have been is a access cover to get to the bildge. Did any of them come without a ski pylon? As far as the stringers go, I read just about every topic on here as
    to replacing them before i bought the boat. I really wanted to make sure it was something I was capable to doing before buying this thing. Im pretty sure ill just do the wood and glass them in.

That's very cool and hey, it's yours, if you want to call it an 86 Launch then I say have at it!!! Yes indeed, we loved our 86, here's to another happy owner

Welcome to the club. Your boat is the same as mine . . '86 Sunsport with some aftermarket stuff. If you want a copy of the original manual that would have come with the boat then PM me with your email and I'll send you a digital copy.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

pm sent, thanks a ton