Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default oil change in winter or spring??

I have heard arguments on changing oil along with winterization in the fall and have heard some people say it is better to change oil in Spring. Which is better?????
    2011 22 SSV

Always change your oil during winterization or close to it. You do not want old oil with its acids and water contamination to sit on your metal parts all lay up long causing harmful corrosion. Oh and don't just change it, make sure you run it for a few mins to distribute that fresh oil over all your internals
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by docdrs View Post
    Always change your oil during winterization or close to it. You do not want old oil with its acids and water contamination to sit on your metal parts all lay up long causing harmful corrosion. Oh and don't just change it, make sure you run it for a few mins to distribute that fresh oil over all your internals
    Thats what Ive done in the past, but I sware when i bought my boat this spring the Supra dealer told me to do it in the spring.
    2011 22 SSV

Quote Originally Posted by randyr12 View Post
    Thats what Ive done in the past, but I sware when i bought my boat this spring the Supra dealer told me to do it in the spring.
    Who ever said that is wrong or you misunderstood them. BTW fresh oil does not go bad sitting in an oil pan over the winter.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    Doug

I change mine in the spring. Oil does not go bad it just gets dirty. If you clean dirty oil, it's as good as it was before it was dirty. The environment that we boat is almost dirt free. Just look at the color of your oil when you change it, it's almost like new. And any moisture in the oil is burned off immediately after the motor is running. Anyway, my two cents. Oh, I also store my boat with an empty tank. I like to but fresh gas in my tank in the spring, rather than run through a tank of old gas. I read that today's gas has about a 3 -5 week shelf life. And, don't use gas with ethanol, it's bad stuff Manaird. Pay the extra money and get premium no ethanol, that ethanol stuff should be outlawed.

I agree on the ethanol, but here in Colorado, you cannot buy gas without ethanol. It sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

I agree with the doc. You need to change it when your season is over. Run it a little to spread the new, clean oil. You'll be good to go in the spring.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

New oil in the spring or old oil, to me it makes no difference. I live in MN and I wait to the last minute to pull my boat. Sometimes it's too cold to be working on stuff. That's why I wait till spring. However, whether you change in the fall or spring, oil will drain from all moving parts over the winter. Everything will be dry the first time you turn it over. I recommend Lucas Oil Treatment, it really sticks to parts, so there is no metal on metal when you start it in the spring or after not running it for a couple of weeks. If you have to burn ethanol use a Sta-Bil type product for ethanol. Untreated ethanol gasoline is really bad for your boat.

it is very bad to leave a fuel tank empty over winter! when doing this it allows air to get inside the tank and then water condenses in the tank. so every spring you mix fuel and water. not so good for an engine. if think about the physics of air it makes perfect sense.
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

Around this time of the year i start adding a stabilizer to the fuel and make sure the tank is full when I winterize with lots of stabil. the more you add the longer the fuel will stay fresh. In the spring I try to run the tank close to empty before adding new fuel. Heavily used oil will be contaminated with acids....a known fact....so why would you leave this sitting on your rings, seals, bearings etc.... just plain common sense to have everything lubricated with clean fresh, non acidic, water contaminated oil. But I suppose if you don't care or plan on keeping the boat long, why would you ever change your oil n filter.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    Doug