Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Condensation in the tank is so minuscule that it's not worth talking about. A fresh tank of gas (45 gallons) and some Sea Foam will quickly take care of the 1/2 oz that may accumulate. My main boat is 23 years old and never a motor issue, compression is perfect,does not burn any oil, and runs like a top. And, I change the oil every spring. My other boat has been in the family for 80 years, compression is perfect, doesn't burn any oil and runs like a top. Changed the oil every spring. Keep in mind that most oil manufactures state that you should change your oil if you have stored you motor for over 3 months. So, then if you change it in the fall, you should change it in the spring. I guess, I like to do it just once a year, and it hasn't caused any ill affects. My two cents, your choice.

have fun rebuilding your engine since you use seafoam. that stuff is very evil to engines. worse than ethanol. only the really good mechanics know what it truly does to an engine. especially a carbed one. its not pretty to see inside an engine that has seen a couple treatments of that retched stuff. change oil frequently AND DONT USE SEAFOAM and your engine will last a long time. but if you use say Mobile 1 Synthetic you could easily leave it in for a 2 or 3 years and just change the filter. as full synthetic out lives the oil filters easily
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

Ok, I'll bite. What specifically did Seafoam do to your engine. I'm assuming your talking about first hand knowledge with the absolutes your using....
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

CornRicky, I'm with you I'd like to learn how and why SeaFoam is such bad stuff. 92SupraComp -- Melges or Johnson?

it takes any dirt from the carb and intake and deposits it into the cylinders. it also dries out the rings causing them to score the cylinder walls. while the temporary gains are nice but it causes long term damage to any engine that its put in. its far worse if you follow the directions and you put it in the oil. then you just spelled certain death to your engine. just putting it in your gas is bad enough but you put it in with your oil. just forget it. you might as well just rebuild your engine instead of waiting for it to sh!t its self while your using it.
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

You know they routinely use a de-carboning cleaner that you connect to the injector rail at the dealership how can Seafoam hurt your engine when it's doing the same thing? I am talking about adding to the gas only. I have used Seafoam about once every 3 months in several cars that are all over 100,000 miles and one at 190,000 and never had a problem. Both do not burn any oil and have not required any maintenance other than regular services. Been a motor head for years on cars, boats and airplanes and never heard of problems related to putting seafoam in your fuel but I guess anything is possible if used every tank or in excessive amounts.
    2007 24SSV
    66 18' Chris Craft Super Sport

Dry out your rings? We are talking about as a additive to the gas and running it right? Not pouring it into each cylinder and letting it sit? Even then I'm having a hard time visualizing piston rings drying out. Anyway its amazing anyone you talk to has heard or used seafoam, that's a lot if engine rebuilding. I used it once on my SN. Had to be about 5 yeas ago when I was having issues with it. It didn't fix my problem but I'm glad I didn't tear it right down then. I got a good 200 extra hours on it. Guess I'm on borrowed time.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Quote Originally Posted by 92SupraComp View Post
    it takes any dirt from the carb and intake and deposits it into the cylinders. it also dries out the rings causing them to score the cylinder walls. while the temporary gains are nice but it causes long term damage to any engine that its put in. its far worse if you follow the directions and you put it in the oil. then you just spelled certain death to your engine. just putting it in your gas is bad enough but you put it in with your oil. just forget it. you might as well just rebuild your engine instead of waiting for it to sh!t its self while your using it.
    Let's see a documented case of scored cylinder walls caused by putting a reasonable amount of seafoam in the fuel once a year, which is what was recommended by OUI. And for good measure, lets' see a case of a complete engine failure caused by adding some to the oil. How would that be worse than 'pickling' an engine that had been submerged, which is a common practice to help remove moisture?

In any case, the question was about oil change timing. There are arguments to be made for changing oil in the fall, or the spring, and I think they've been outlined pretty well here, enough for people to make an educated choice either way. I change mine @50 hrs, regardless. That's my 2 cents.