Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Perfect Pass only working in RPM Mode???

I have an 04 22SSV Gravity Games Edition Supra and the Perfect Pass has been acting up. When I purchased the boat the perfect pass gauge would come on normally but would not register the speed. The owner said the boat had been in storage and the batteries went dead and the perfect pass may just need to be reset to factory defaults. first time out, used the perfect pass in RPM mode and no problems, stopped the boat and changed to mph mode turned the boat off, turned the boat on and
    reset the Perfect Pass and it worked! This was nice and it worked for two weekends, now it is not reading the speed again. On another note, the speedometer stopped working this weekend as well. I went under the boat while it was in the water and spun the paddle wheel, it was not stuck and spun freely. Next time I took off in the boat, speedometer worked fine. What I have tried so far on the Perfect Pass:
    1. Spun Paddle Wheel (Spins Freely)
    2. Checked Paddle Wheel connection, nothing unplugged
    3. Removed the Perfect Pass Computer Module, everything connected that is labeled (RPM, Power, etc.)
    4. Reset the System again to Factory Defaults
    5. Ran in RPM Mode this weekend, worked fine, still not reading speed. Gauge reading 0.0

Any ideas or other methods I can try???

having same issue...RPM works fine, but MPH wont register. Mine was showing MPH until I did factory reset!

I would call the perfect pass support folks - I have only ever heard good things about the customer service there.
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

I do have an email in to their tech support team, if I don't hear back in a day or so I am going to call them

Quote Originally Posted by JBCards View Post
    having same issue...RPM works fine, but MPH wont register. Mine was showing MPH until I did factory reset!
    JBCards, have you tried any tricks to try and fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by supraaddict View Post
    I do have an email in to their tech support team, if I don't hear back in a day or so I am going to call them
    This is what I got directly from Perfect Pass tech support:

You most likely need to replace the paddlewheel. You can test the voltage on the paddlewheel wire to see if the signal is there. You may want to check the power to the paddlewheel as well to ensure it is getting a good 12V supply.

Also a word document with the following:

Paddle Wheel Troubleshooting

If your system works very well and controls smoothly in the rpm mode, but surges and hunts in the speed based mode, it is likely a paddle wheel related problem.

1. Does the paddle wheel impeller spin freely? (if not, change impeller)
    2. Is the paddle wheel housing under the hull pointing straight forward. The arrow on the housing must be pointing straight ahead.
    3. Is the impeller installed in the assembly in the correct direction?
    4. Is the paddle insert fully and properly set in the housing?
    5. Is the paddle wheel installed in the correct location? Call for details on your boat model. It can not be installed directly behind a strake, water intake, etc. which could disturb the flow of water.
    6. Perform a System Reset. Press & hold the ON/OFF & MENU Keys together as you power up the system. Continue holding until you see the System Reset Prompt.
    7. If it only surges when the boat is heavily loaded in a certain configuration, it may be a location problem.

TEST – Drive boat in RPM mode at a value of 2800 RPM. When RPM is locked on, watch PerfectPass digital speed reading. It should only be varying by one or 2 tenth’s. If it is varying more than this, then the paddle signal to PerfectPass is not consistent.

NEW 03 / 04 Boats – Most new boats have a factory paddle wheel installed on every model to run the normal speedometer. On these boats, PerfectPass shares the signal. If the above test indicates an inconsistent speed signal then the factory paddle wheel may be an issue. Some of these have a connector in the bilge area very near paddle wheel. Pull this connector apart and inspect for moisture or corrosion. Water in this connector can draw down the signal going to the dash and cause PerfectPass problems.

Proper Paddle Wheel Location

Direct Drive – Just ahead of engine, about 7 inches from the centerline of boat.
    V-Drive - Between engine & gas tank, generally beside transmission. Should be
    mounted 6 – 10 inches from center.
    Stern Drive I/O - Ahead of engine, approximately 8 – 10 inches from center line.

The key to paddle performance is location. Never install behind a water intake, strake, depth sounder, etc. that could disturb the flow. Even a water intake 5 feet ahead of paddle can be a problem.

And the .jpg attachment:

Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 1.36.54 PM.jpg

The water in the area of the connector, or corrosion makes sense on mine because I had a Ballast valve that was cracked and leaking into the bilge area, I am going to inspect mine as soon as I get back to the boat today, as well as check the voltage from the paddlewheel wire.

Check the splices in the harness under the dash for the PP. Follow the schematics for the paddlewheel harness color codes. My PP used the Supra harness and was spliced into it under the dash. Not in a impressive fashion I may add.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

They took about three days to return my email. I would call them if I was you.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Found the fix for my problem, and thought I would share.

These were my steps for repair:

First- I pulled out the Transducer and paddlewheel unit out
    Second- I tested the green wire voltage by spinning the paddle wheel and I was getting around 6V every quarter turn (This is the wire for the MPH reading that plugs into the Perfect Pass Brain)
    Third- Since I was getting voltage to the wire from the paddle wheel, I knew it had to be a problem under the dash. I inspected every wire under the dash and found that the green wire was loose on the Wire Harness that plugs into the Perfect Pass gauge. The harness is a two piece unit, after it is unplugged, you can separate the plug at the middle, pull the individual pins and re-crimp them. The Harness that had the loose wire had two wires coming out of it, Re-crimped the green wire, put the pin back in the harness, reconnected everything, and it is now working correctly.

From this I learned that trouble shooting the Perfect Pass unit is fairly easy.

If the green wire at the connection in the hull of the boat is not getting voltage when the paddle wheel is turning, then you have a bad paddle wheel
    If the green wire is getting voltage when the paddle wheel is turning then next check the green wire at the Perfect Pass Computer Module under the dash, If the green wire does not
    have voltage then something is wrong with the wire that runs from the sending unit connection in the hull to the Perfect Pass Computer Module. If the wire does have voltage, check the next connection which will be a 4 Pin wiring harness with 2 wires going to the gauge (the green wire up by the Perfect Pass gauge is the Speed wire). If you have voltage here then it is NOT the Perfect Pass computer module. If you do not, there is most likely something wrong with the Perfect Pass computer module. If you have voltage at all these points and a master reset to default setting on your Perfect Pass gauge does not work, then it is most likely your gauge that is bad

Hope this info can help someone else!