Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailer bearing fail? 2009 Boatmate trailer for Supra 21V. Smoke pours out....

coming home from about an hour away, didn't note anything unusual but after getting out of truck smoke is coming from right rear wheel on trailer and the wheel is REALLY hot. Was dark so next a.m. I went out and inspected further and there appears to be some liquid all around the inside of that wheel, but none of the others.

This is a boatmate trailer with the UFP "vault" hybrid lubrication system which is supposedly maint. free.

At the front of the trailer there is a plug, and in there I see fluid, but it's not all the way to the top. I'm not sure if this is the lubrication fluid for the axles, I think it is.

I called both boat mate and UFP and have not had any response. I called local marina and they don't work on trailer.

I'm concerned - what do I do next? Anyone fixed anything like this before?
    2009 21V

I'd put it up on jackstands and see if the wheel feels loose if you try to pull it in/out. In my mind, if the bearing went or the "vault" went, you wouldn't have any fluid left in there.

My money on smoke would be on a brake being stuck. Does this trailer have electronic or surge brakes? Any chance that the emergency/run-away cable was pulled? Once it's up on a jack you should be able to try and spin it and see if it feels like the brake is engaged.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

It is surge brakes. The reason I was thinking maybe bearing is that I see fluid coating the entire rim on that wheel, but none on the others. It was way too hot that night to touch anything.

The emergency cable was hooked up, I unhooked it and it seemed normal.

I have no idea how to jack up a trailer with the boat still on it. I've not nothing other than the jack in my pickup and that doesn't seem safe.
    2009 21V

Bottle or floor jack should be used to jack up the trailer. I always have a 2-ton bottle jack in the truck whenever the boat is being towed or I think that the boat might be taken out. Don't even attempt to use the scissor jack from your truck. Also, try and avoid jacking the trailer on asphalt as the jack will most likely settle into the pavement. Cement/concrete is best and gravel if nothing else is available. Oh yeah, I would leave the trailer hooked up to the truck to prevent it from rocking on you as well.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Had the same thing happen to me although I failed to notice any fluid per se. It ended up being my brake needed to be backed off
    (surge brakes) which I had done for me at a local tire shop!
    easy fix!

I took it into local heavy equipment repair place (they fix heavy trucks and semis and the like). Towed it there about 25-35mph. When he jacked it up the brakes were tight, released when I put it into reverse. So maybe it's just brakes like you had Crystal - that would be great. But that still makes me wonder about the fluid - maybe because the wheel got so hot it allowed fluid to leak out from the bearing seals?

If so, do I just add more fluid to the front reservoir?

Funny I didn't notice it at all when pulling except I did pull up my mileage and it was a bit lower than I typically see, but I didn't think twice about it. Certainly didn't notice any harder to pull or extra downshifts or anything like that, but the ecoboost engine is a beast for towing.
    2009 21V

I think your bearing is fine. Probably boiled the brake fluid and had it spit all over the place. That would be where my money is at. Make sure the bearing resevoir fluid/oil is at the same level on both sides and call it good.

I'd have your brakes serviced, bled, adjusted just as a preventative measure. Any auto shop should be able to handle this. They are not complicated brakes.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I have had a brake stick and it heated the grease so much it came out around the seal. Grease and oil get thin when it gets hot. My bet is it heated it up and got thin.

with regards to the comment about not noticing it at all when pulling the boat-------mine was spewing some smoke which clued me in fast. Now , when pulling I find myself checking the rearviews every once in a while specifically for that same smoke! Once bitten , twice shy--even years later!

ended up the calipers were sticking on the right side which apparently caused the wheel to overheat and ruined the bearing seal. Final repair bill $680 - not happy considering only 3 year old trailer. They replaced both calipers right side and the rear bearing.
    2009 21V