Default Transmission Dry after changing oil 5 hours previous

Hi all-

Velvet drive 1:1 ratio model 10:18:002. I recently purchased an 88 saltare w/454...when I opened the dipstick there was oil but there was that milky mix on the dipstick. I wiped it off, used it that day, and checked it again. Still milkyness on the dipstick...but less. Previous owner said he hadn't changed the trans oil in a few years.

Took my oil extractor and removed ~1.7 quarts of trans fluid...dark brown in color, didn't seem to have any water mixed. Put in the same amount of trans oil. Used it for an hour, checked it, fine. Checked it again when I was done using the boat for the day...fine.

Boat was on the trailer for two weeks...plug out, had lots of rain. Took it to the boat ramp, when she was angled, water came pouring out. Didn't think anything of it.

Put her in the water, went to plane off...and transmission slipped. Happened a few times. Immediately stopped, popped open dipstick...lo and behold, absolutely no oil.

Uhh---help? Where do I start?

Thanks-
    JW

I'd fill it again and put a piece of cardboard under it or a clean rag. See where it is leaking out. Seems impossible to me that it's actually leaking out while it's sitting (and not running.)

My money is on your transmission cooler. They are designed so that the tranmission oil pressure is higher than the water pressure. This means that the tranny fluid is supposed to leak out before the water can leak in. Easy to pull it off and pressure test it.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Also if it drained out while sitting you would have had a red oily mess in your bilge. wotan seems to be on the money. You could fill it again and watch the level closely. is your tranny cooler before or after your impeller. If before then your impeller is going to suck the oil out of the cooler , if its leaking, as you run the boat.
    Last edited by docdrs; 08-22-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

If it's milky, then there is water in the trans. The more you use it the less milky because it burns off the water. The other guys are right, trans oil cooler is my bet. That's really the only way water can get in and oil can get out.