Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Look at martin archers work on the Malibucrew forum. Look up teakgate.

Quote Originally Posted by 2500hd View Post
    look at martin archers work on the malibucrew forum. Look up teakgate.
    wowwwww!!!!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I do remember reading a Nautique owner ditched the setup after tinkering with it. He had the weird V which was on the old v-drive hulls.

I'm sure it doesn't work for every single boat out there because of the design of the hull, but I'm going to try it out with some clamps this year. If it works, I'll make a set that clips into the brackets for the swim platform...

you WILL need to strengthen your transom to mount a system like this. Both Mautique and Malibu's setups are only able to be installed on their newer built boats because they have restructured the transoms. You CANNOT install these setups on older models because of this reason.
    "Where There's a Will, there's a way!"

Check out my 1987 rebuild thread here
    https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...-Resto-begins.

Quote Originally Posted by wspeedin View Post
    you WILL need to strengthen your transom to mount a system like this. Both Mautique and Malibu's setups are only able to be installed on their newer built boats because they have restructured the transoms. You CANNOT install these setups on older models because of this reason.
    I beg to differ on the transom strength. from what i have seen, the lateral forces that the surfgate creates are not out of control. in fact i saw a post some where that said between 80-100kg. not sure how true that is but is does sound reasonable. Another reason is that I've seen it on older boats.
    One thing that you should check on your transom is if the swimdeck is screwed to the transom or thrubolted. if it is just screwed i wouldn't try it.
    Last edited by 2500HD; 03-19-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
    I beg to differ on the transom strength. from what i have seen, the lateral forces that the surfgate creates are not out of control. in fact i saw a post some where that said between 80-100kg. not sure how true that is but is does sound reasonable. Another reason is that I've seen it on older boats.
    One thing that you should check on your transom is if the swimdeck is screwed to the transom or thrubolted. if it is just screwed i wouldn't try it.
    I agree. One of the threads they did the calculations and estimated only ~200lbs of force put on the entire plate. With backing plates it should not be a problem at all.

Curious to see what happens when we get the chance to do some experimenting. I'm def. going to try some things out and if it helps with our boats, hopefully the Teakgate electronics package will come up for sale and we can all add it to our boats without too much fuss!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Simple math...

It also seems like there's not a whole lot of pressure added onto the teak. There's a couple guys that bootyfabbed a setup over on the Malibu forum, where they have have the paddle clamped to the teak. One Mastercraft guy reported maybe 80-100kg of force on the paddle itself. Makes sense since 5psi = 20mph, 11 psi = 30mph, 19 psi = 40mph, 30 psi = 50mph (Taken from a Airguide Speedometer writeup). So We'll say that the PSI at 10mph is 3psi. A paddle that is 10X20 at a 45 degree angle will roughly have 100square inches of surface area, equaling 300lbs of force. They're not at a 45 degree angle, more like 20 degrees, so the force is probably somewhere around 150lbs. The teak and transom is more than capable of holding this

I understand everyones point. However, I made my post based on the Manufacturer's warning. Both Malibu and Nautique have both stated that they cannot install it on older model year boats due to the strength required of the transom.
    By all means, go and try it, but I will stick to listening to what manufacturer's have said about their products.
    "Where There's a Will, there's a way!"

Check out my 1987 rebuild thread here
    https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...-Resto-begins.

I understand everyones point. However, I made my post based on the Manufacturer's warning. Both Malibu and Nautique have both stated that they cannot install it on older model year boats due to the strength required of the transom.
    By all means, go and try it, but I will stick to listening to what manufacturer's have said about their products.
    I hear ya.....but if it makes my saltares goofy side a good wave then its worth it in my mind.