Hybrid View

Default Transmission will not go into reverse

Took the boat out yesterday for a mid-week wake session. She fired up just fine, but reverse would not engage. I was able to but the throttle all the way in reverse but the transmission would not engage in reverse. I thought at first maybe some gunk had clogged up in there, so I drove around for a while hoping that heating it up would knock it lose, but no dice. I checked the fluid level and it seemed to have plenty, maybe even a tad too much fluid. I inspected the linkage as well and it looks free and clear. Just to reiterate, she worked flawlessly in forward, but no reverse what so ever. I was thinking maybe the screen might be clogged causing an issue? I really don’t want to rebuild this guy, but it could have happened at a worse time I guess (middle of July).
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

First, make sure that the shift linkage is properly actuating the selector on the transmission. I'd disconnect the cable from the transmission and manually engage it forward and reverse. You can feel the definite detents as the arm is moved through forward/neutral/reverse. If it still won't engage when manually put into reverse, might try a fluid flush/change. Otherwise, sounds like rebuild time...
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Quote Originally Posted by sybrmike View Post
    First, make sure that the shift linkage is properly actuating the selector on the transmission. I'd disconnect the cable from the transmission and manually engage it forward and reverse. You can feel the definite detents as the arm is moved through forward/neutral/reverse. If it still won't engage when manually put into reverse, might try a fluid flush/change. Otherwise, sounds like rebuild time...
    I will defintley try changing the fluid, and cleaing the screen first. But how common is it for just the reverse to go out and not the foward? I rarley use reverse, its gota be a clogged reverse circut or something?
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

mike is right, check the linkage... your best bet. removing the transmission is not that tough once you establish a way to rig the back end of the engine. (rear motor mounts are on the transmission).
    mr.jrc -- 1986 Supra Saltare

So I will chekc the linkage and flush the fluid. Any other ideas? I feel like it would be very strange for the reverse to go out, but have no issues with forward. It has to be a clogged reverse circut.
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

hope it is just a cable adjustment. but it is probably the reverse clutch disk broken. when they go it takes out the pressure springs you will then have forward but no reverse. when
    they brake you will not hear any noise or know anything happen.