Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Engine Stays in Gear, won't go into neutral

My 1990 Supra Conbrio won't go into neutral. When I start the motor, it is in gear. The neutral switch isn't working either. Any advice on what to look for?

Disconnect the control linkage on the transmission and (with the engine off) see if you can move the shift lever.

Also see if you can move the controls once it is disconnected. It would be helpful to find out if the problem is in the control, the cable, the tranny, or the linkage.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Thanks, I will try this when I get home in a couple hours. This happenned while we were on the lake and the boat accelerated normally and everything else seemed to be fine, just wouldn't go into neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    Disconnect the control linkage on the transmission and (with the engine off) see if you can move the shift lever.

Also see if you can move the controls once it is disconnected. It would be helpful to find out if the problem is in the control, the cable, the tranny, or the linkage.
    I disconnected the controls, they appear to be fine and the shift lever moves properly. There was no transmission fluid reading in the stick so I filled it and restarted the engine. The results are the same, it still starts and stays in gear, accelerating fine. Now I am wondering what kind of damage may have been done to the transmission since the it was without fluid. Any other ideas? Thank you.

Friction plates are locked up due to no lubtacation. Try filling the case up with dextron and let sit to soak the plates
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

I added the Dextron last week and still no luck. The engine still won't go into neutral and it dies in reverse, forward is fine. Any other thoughts before I bring it in and have someone look at the tranny? Thanks.

Tranny is very simple to overhaul , do a search on here and I have a rebuild (how too)
    Kit is 156.00 on eBay .. And the manual is downloadable on the net just google it

Thanks! Our local shop just quoted me $2K for a re-build and $3K for a replacement. I will google and download the manual.

3K for a replacement is stupid! Ski DiM will sell you a new 1:23 for 1720.00.

do not pay 2K for a rebuild ... can you turn a wrench ? are you knowledgeable with tools and cars ect...? if you want to pay 2k ill shipp you my spare!! lol