Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just tryin' to save souls Smitty. I do what I can.

Is the fiberglass swim deck in good Shape?
    86 Saltare

Hi. I am new here, but I love boats. I have little experience with even working on boats but I love a challenge. I was looking at another saltare on onlyinboards that the guy was saying the stringers and interior were shot among some other things, but I think it still had the motor and drivetrain. I would love to own a boat, especially a true inboard, but I don't have a lot of cash, so I am looking for a great deal. Maybe you veteran members can help me out. Would it be worth it for me to get this hull and buy the other boat I was speaking about (guy is asking $2500, but I think I can get him down a fair bit) and combine them into one good, useable boat? I am no mechanic by any means, but I can get by, and I have a few friends who are always happy to help me with stuff here and there.

My wife wants a pontoon. She says it would be the best for us because of our 11 month old, but I guess I am selfish, cuz I want a boat I can sac out to board and surf behind, so I am looking for a compromise which would be a good size inboard (22' or better), but that is hard to come by on a very modest budget.

OP, could you send me some pics so I know what I am looking at?

Thanks in advance for any advise fellas.

Welcome to the forum. Here is a link to the pictures of his boat:

Supra Saltare pics

As for the combo idea, if the other boat has no interior and it's completely thrashed, maybe having both might work. But the other boat will need the same things as this free one. So essentially you'll be doing the same thing if you just picked up the $2500 boat and fixed it up.

You're looking at about 7,000-8,000 to do a full blown resto, at least. About 2k-3k for the stringers/floor, if you're handy. Another 1.5-2K for the new seats/covers, and then there is all the little things to fix up, and they add up FAST.

I say go for it, but be prepared, it's not for the 75% committed. You have to be in it, 110%. Search some of the other Saltare resto threads that are in here for an idea of what they had to go through.

And my 16mo old boy loves the Supra. He does love running around on my parents Pontoon, but that's because he's a little terror who can't sit still.

That looks like the same paint scheme as the one I found for $2500. Here is the link to it.

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=34516

Craig,

When you say this hull needs wood throughout, I assume you are saying it needs new stringers and floor correct?

rk i see your from hopkinsville i grew up there, parents and grandmother still live there but i live in knoxville now....welcome to the board and let me know if i can help you with anything dont see many people from hoptown

jasun,

It is just the fiberglass deck only - no brackets, etc. However, it appears to be in good shape and would the brackets for the teak deck work? I would think so.

rk,

Yeas, the wood is bad throughout. And I just edited the start of this thread, I started cutting up the hull today.

Okay. Well I guess I missed out completely on both saltares. The boat in the ad I posted has been sold.

Jason, I am originally from Robertson County, TN but I got a job here in Hoptown so I am now a Kentuckian. I noticed on Kenlake boarders seem to be the minority. Plenty of Bajas, Fountains and Donzis, but the 2 days I played out there I think I saw maybe 4 boats with towers and or doghouse in the middle of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Smith View Post
    rk,

Yeas, the wood is bad throughout. And I just edited the start of this thread, I started cutting up the hull today.

I knew I heard "taps" playing last night. A moment of silence for another icon that has left us.