Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Replacement Speakers

Do I need Marine speakers for the 4 in the boat or will car audio speakers work fine? Im looking to upgrade the oldies in the Saltare.
    86 Saltare

I would look into marine over the car audio speakers. Is there a reason for wanting to put the car audio speakers in your boat?

Here are a few advantages to a marine speaker:
    Grill mounted tweeter and continuous mid-bass cone add valuable mid-bass and no way for water to enter the motor as will a pole-mounted tweeter. Most car audio speakers have moved this direction, but some car door speakers still have a gap between the pole and cone.
    Sealed magnet prevents rust. Some manufacturers even shield their magnets so to not interfere with boat electronics.
    High grade SS hardware
    Composite basket as opposed to painted stapmed steel
    UV inhibitors in the cone, surround, grill and basket material
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

I guess the reason I was looking at car audio was because I am more familiar with them and have not researched any Marine Audio.

Any decent brands to start with??
    86 Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by jasun View Post
    I guess the reason I was looking at car audio was because I am more familiar with them and have not researched any Marine Audio.

Any decent brands to start with??
    In no particular order:
    Kicker
    Wet Sounds
    JL
    Polk
    Alpine

Just to name a few.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

I have 6 kicker 6.5 marine. I just took out of my 2011 242. Will let go for 200.00 plus shipping..
    2011 242 Supra Launch
    Stereo
    Wet Sound 4 Rev10s on Tower
    Wet Sound 8- 6 1/2 In Boat
    2 Rockford 12" P3 Subs
    Ballast Upgraded rear Bags 2 1100 lb
    ACME 2079 prop
    Shadow-Caster SCM-10 Under-Water LED
    All Blue LED Interior Lights

Marine audio stuff is mostly rated for salt water. I run the kicker car stuff (just no paper cones.) Never had a problem. They come in and out at least once a season and I've never noticed any corrosion or rust on the back side of them.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Wotan, why do you remove and reinstall every season? Just curious- my Sony Explodes are just car stuff also and they seem to be holding up OK after 5-6 years. My bro gave me a compete Pyle audio package last Christmas(He thought it was nice stuff) But the 4 in boat speakers are too deep to go in the stock locations,they would stick right through the hull- not to mention that they are 10"- way too big of a hole to cut. The tower pair might be ok as we do not try to overpower the exhuast noise with the tunes- love that open exhaust sound! The amp that came with the kit says 2000 watts, probably not! It is a six channel, bridgeable marine unit. Maybe all of it should just be installed in my daily driver-2000 Subaru outback! It would make the 45 mile commute more fun!
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

I don't purposely remove and reinstall, it just seems like every season there is at least 1 thing that requires me to access the area behind the spakers or the bottom of my tower feet or re-run/upgrade wiring, etc....
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Im selling all my Kenwood stuff that came on my 2008 22SSV