Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Winterizing Checklist

Here is my winterizing checklist. Let me know if I need to add or change anything. Going to do it Sunday before the Packers beat...well, it doesn't really matter who they play, does it?

WINTERIZING ’93 SUPRA SUNSPORT

1. Add Sea Foam to full tank of gas

AT THE LAKE

2. Run motor up to temperature

3. Change motor oil/filter (while warm) CHANGE OIL EVERY 50-75 HOURS
    a. Use gallon Ziploc bag for filter
    b. Oil: Valvoline VR1 (not synthetic!!) 20w-50 (5 quarts)
    c. Filter: Motocraft FL-1A

4. Put boat back in water and run to circulate fresh oil
    a. Fog until it stalls/dies

AT HOME

5. Change tranny oil (while warm)
    a. Valvoline Dex/Merc III ATF
    b. Fill tranny completely full (To protect seals)

6. Fog each cylinder (check spark plugs)

7. Drain water: (2) block, (2) manifold, (1) trans oil cooler (or pull lower hose off), (1) “U” Joint front of motor
    a. Use wire to clean out any debris
    b. Use anti-seize on bolts

8. Drain/clean water strainer

9. Remove raw water pump and impeller (Pulley on the front left)
    a. Store impeller coated with Vaseline in a Ziploc bag

10. Pour RV anti-freeze in the upper hose that attaches to the raw water pump
    a. Raise the end of the hose above engine level
    b. 3-4 gallons of pink RV anti-freeze
    c. Leave in until spring

11. Loosen both belts

12. Remove any water from bilge

13. Clean spark arrestor (brake cleaner or soak in parts cleaner)

14. Clean motor with a rag soaked with WD-40

15. Remove battery, ballast bags, life vests, cushions, and rope bag to store indoors

16. Spray mooring cover with waterproofing spray

17. Vacuum Interior

18. Dryer sheets in boat

19. Top off gas and treat with Sea Foam

20. Wash/wax exterior

Looks good, but I would not do 4a. First your going to piss alot of people off as you smoke them out , then you are putting oil in the lake if the boat is still in the water, And lastly its not need if you are going to do 6. Which is the best way to fog a motor.....thru a carb or TB you are burning most of the oil that you want to coat the cylinder rings. And by seafoam ,I assume you mean fuel stabilizer.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by docdrs View Post
    Looks good, but I would not do 4a. First your going to piss alot of people off as you smoke them out , then you are putting oil in the lake if the boat is still in the water, And lastly its not need if you are going to do 6. Which is the best way to fog a motor.....thru a carb or TB you are burning most of the oil that you want to coat the cylinder rings. And by seafoam ,I assume you mean fuel stabilizer.
    Gotcha with 4a. I thought it might be over-kill with step 6...just wasn't sure. Seafoam is a fuel stabilizer. http://www.seafoamsales.com/tech-info-gas-engines/

Why no synthetic?

Only thing I would change is the seafoam. I have been using it for years but I have been reading bad things about seafoam as a stabilizer with the new ethanol fuels. I am changing to marine Stabil. Also there is no need to put the boat in the water just run it on the house water hose.

Quote Originally Posted by freeflyernc View Post
    Why no synthetic?
    My boat has a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft with solid lifters (as opposed to the newer boats with roller cam/lifters) and needs the added zinc in the VR1 oil (Or Shell Rotella). I would NEVER run synthetic in an older motor. I learned the hard way with my '75 corvette...I wiped 4 lobes using unconventional oil! There is no need for synthetic oil if you are changing every 50-75 hours. Just my 2 cents...others will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Only thing I would change is the seafoam. I have been using it for years but I have been reading bad things about seafoam as a stabilizer with the new ethanol fuels. I am changing to marine Stabil. Also there is no need to put the boat in the water just run it on the house water hose.
    I have not heard bad things about Seafoam...but definitely noted! I should add that I purchase mid-grade E-0 fuel. I tend to stay away from anything ethanol with older motors. I don't even like it in my '07 Avalanche that is made to run on the E-85. Nothing but bad things IMHO. I've heard marine Stabil is just 2x strength of regular Stabil so you might want to comparison shop for the best price.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Also there is no need to put the boat in the water just run it on the house water hose.
    Forgot to comment...I don't have a fake-a-lake so this is not a possibility. The WI river is approx. 2 miles away, so it's not a problem bringing it to water.

Look at Star-Tron also for a fuel stabilizer. They have a good product. I've been using that regularly. I have a mix of being able to get non-ethanol vs ethanol depending on where I'm going and where I'm able to fill up.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Boarder View Post
    Look at Star-Tron also for a fuel stabilizer. They have a good product. I've been using that regularly. I have a mix of being able to get non-ethanol vs ethanol depending on where I'm going and where I'm able to fill up.
    I've heard of that before, but have never seen it. Is that an auto parts, Wal-mart, or Fleet Farm thing?